Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2018
    • (edited Aug 13th 2018)

It used to be the case on the nLab that

[[C*-algebra]]

produced all the symbols, including the asterisk.

It still seems to work here on the nForum

C*-algebra

but currently on the nLab the asterisk instead disappears, while the remaining -algebra is being italicized.

(I noticed this while editing the entry Isbell duality - table. Incidentally, I see that it is still the case that editing this entry does not change its appearance in other entries where it is included, until these are re-saved.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Aug 13th 2018)

I believed that I have fixed the asterisk issue now (the new renderer is in change of links, but Maruku still parses the content after the new renderer is applied, and was parsing the asterisk as an indication of italicisation; the asterisk is now escaped (as it should really have been anyway) to avoid this problem).

Regarding Isbell duality - table; which page are you thinking of? I tried making an edit, and the page higher geometry where the table is included was updated correctly, without any manual re-saving from me. It takes a bit of time for the renderer to render all pages if there are a lot of them (remember it is doing it asynchronously, it is not done by the time the initial page save is done). I am working on improving the asynchronous stuff, though, and there are still a few issues (edit: but see #5 below); if you let me know which page you did not see being updated, I can dig into it.

I also see that you are trying to include links in the tex, without success so far. Do you know if this ever worked, i.e. with the old renderer? With the new tex parser I am working on, I will be able to add this functionality. Edit: I see that it works on Firefox! MathJax cannot parse it, though, so it does not work on many other browsers.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Aug 13th 2018)

All pages with a link to C*-algebra need re-rendering; they are now being re-rendered. I will then re-render all other pages with a link involving an asterisk. It will take a little time to be completely finished. Edit: re-rendering done. Let me know if you see any further issues of this kind.

1. Incidentally, Urs, if you add class="existingWikiWord" to the links to nLab pages in the tex in Isbell duality - table, one should get the green styling that indicates they link to an nLab page.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Aug 13th 2018)

Re #2: to avoid worrying people, I should also say that the issues with asychronicity that I mentioned are of a technical nature (to do with controlling the threads that are created, for those who know about that kind of thing, in Ruby), and I have not seen any case in which they are affecting anything in practise for an ’ordinary’ user of the nLab.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2018

Thanks, Richard!!

if you add class="existingWikiWord" to the links to nLab pages in the tex in Isbell duality - table, one should get the green styling that indicates they link to an nLab page.

Here I am not sure if I understand what you are saying. Where/how would I add class="existingWikiWord"?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2018
    • (edited Aug 15th 2018)

I’ve now done what I had in mind for one of the links, to Gelfand duality. You should see that this link is green as usual now. Instead of

<a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Gelfand+duality">

one can write the following.

<a class="existingWikiWord" href="/nlab/show/Gelfand+duality">

I did get an error just now coming from the thread issues when editing twice in quick succession on this page. It will say something involving ’mutex’. If you get such an error, just let me know.