Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2019

In the crazy world of British academia we need to give evidence that work in our departments is having “impact” on the world, outside our subject and preferably outside academia. As you may imagine, it’s not always so easy to show rapid and significant impact in philosophy, since we tend to work on the time scale of centuries. I was wondering then if I could make a case that the nLab has made a difference. I know Urs was looking out for endorsements, and even has one pinned on his Twitter account.

What kind of evidence do we have for its impact? Could we gather it some place? We could put out a request on Twitter.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire

I’ve seen quite a number of papers with references to ncatlab pages. Isn’t this a form of endorsement?

Do publishers or individual journals have official policies about allowing nLab links? I presume they would be more lenient than allowing links to Wikipedia.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

What kind of evidence do we have for its impact?

Remember that a while back, Richard had installed and announced here a tool that monitors nnLab traffic? It also provided funky graphics with it, maybe you could have it produce diagrams showing annual page requests or the like.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited May 16th 2019)

The nLab has entered the level of internet appreciation that manifests itself in jokey memes on Facebook.

There’s also recognition that the nLab can be cited on Wikipedia and has its own citation template, and is called a standard reference by MathOverflow help.

And here’s a random citation I found: C Lange, Enabling Collaboration on Semiformal Mathematical Knowledge by Semantic Web Integration, giving the nLab as an examplar of open notebook science.

I think I’ve seen people also refer to the nLab in their teaching pages as a resource. And there’s this listing it among “resources everybody working on mathematical physics related to string theory should know.”

• CommentRowNumber5.

Thanks everyone.

Here’s Finn Lawler in Fibrations of predicates and bicategories of relation:

…I would not have come to understand category theory at anywhere near the level this thesis required without the n-Lab (ncatlab.org). Of course, I can’t possibly thank by name everyone involved, but I do want to make clear just how much I owe to all of them. My understanding of category theory, and of mathematics in general, has been immeasurably deepened and broadened by the material on the Lab, as well as by discussions on the associated n-Forum. I must thank Mike Shulman and Todd Trimble in particular for the latter.

• CommentRowNumber6.

(5) nLab(https://ncatlab.org) collective and open the online wiki laboratory which contains a lot of useful information on the theory of categories. Quivers, Algebras and Adjoint functors

Good company:

exposés I and II of [SGA3] and the nLab on ncatlab.org are highly recommended for some more in-depth coverage of certain topics. Twisting and Mixing

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

exposés I and II of [SGA3] and the nLab

wow! That’s pretty good.