Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. This is my first hook to the n-lab, I am pretty sure that isomorphism is an overly strong condition, and that any is a too weak restriction.

Please see the wikipedia article on the principle of bivalence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_bivalence

I am unsure as how to proceeed.

vukovinski

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2019

Hi vukovinski,

welcome to the nLab. Before diving into editing entries, maybe best to first participate a bit in discussion here, so that we get to know each other.

The sentence you just added to the entry Boolean category seems to require a bit of work still. For the moment I have rolled back the entry and am copying your sentence to here. It was:

Many-valued logics can be reduced to Boolean logic, ie. any coherent category is isomorphic to the Principle of Bivalence.

I trust that some logic expert here recognizes what you were trying to say and will lend a hand with putting it properly.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorvukovinski
    • (edited Jun 5th 2019)
    What is missing is a series of decision procedures sharing mutable state, that is a program denoting the structure of the reduction. A compiler that would translate this program must contain a free logic generator? for each part of the program containing descriptions of infinitary sums.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I’m sorry, but I cannot make any sense out of either the sentence you added to the page or your subsequent comment.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2019

Nor I.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hm, might this be auto-generated text?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Certainly I don’t see how

any coherent category is isomorphic to the Principle of Bivalence

can be considered a coherent piece of category theory.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 7th 2019)

At that point I was still benevolent and thought some poor soul might have tried to say something like that a coherent category is equivalent to one that satisfies the “principle of bivalence”, hence a Boolean category.

But then we got #3 and this sounds like it’s auto-generated text trained on nLab keywords. And we should cut this all out here.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Perhaps someone is checking to see if they can use mLab-style generation of pages as a Sokalian hoax.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 6th 2019)

Yeah, that might also explain the term “Spirited Systems Redesigner” at vukovinski. Looks like some kids are getting a bit carried away with their cunningness.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2019

If this in the other thread is true, Filip Vukovinsky just scored on a co-Turing test, and I have to apologize for suspecting unnamed script kids for playing lame jokes on us. Apparently no cunningness involved here.

In any case, best to let this rest unless we hear back anything intelligible.