Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2019

A stub.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2019

Do I have this generalisation right for graded monads in any 2-category?

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber3.

Added an example.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Looks good.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2019

I see Paolo Perrone was speaking here of a colimit of graded monads. With the formulation via lax 2-functors, BMK\mathbf{B} M \to K, is there a slick way of speaking of some 2-categorical Kan extension along BM1\mathbf{B} M \to 1?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorPaoloPerrone

If you refer to a way of obtaining a non-graded monad from a graded monad via a Kan extension in the 2-category of monoidal categories and lax monoidal functors, the answer is yes - we do it for example in the paper presented in that blog post (link here), Theorems 4.14 and B.1. The idea of a “monoidal Kan extension” is not due to us – we review some of the approaches in the literature here.

However, those are Kan extensions in the 2-category of monoidal categories. In that approach, a graded monad is a lax monoidal functor from a monoidal category MM (the grading) into an endofunctor category [C,C][C,C]. If instead we view the graded monad as a lax 2-functor BMK\mathbf{B}M\to K into a bicategory KK, I don’t know how to obtain a monad (lax 2-functor 1K1\to K) via a (2-dimensional?) Kan extension. Naively I would say that if we tried to do that, then the functor BMK\mathbf{B}M\to K and its Kan extension 1K1\to K (along BM1\mathbf{B}M\to 1) could have different image objects in KK, only related by a universal 1-cell which is not necessarily (pseudo)invertible. If K=CatK=\mathbf{Cat}, that would mean that the graded monad and the resulting monad would be potentially on different categories.

(I hope I’m understanding your question correctly though.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Jul 5th 2019)

Ok, thanks. I wonder what the benefits of the second (lax 2-functor) approach are. A few months ago I was wondering about factorization of monads in that setting. It seems you can’t generate the Kleisli and Eilenberg-Moore adjunctions as you can through the inclusions of the walking monad into the walking adjoint as here.

What does one gain in thinking of monads as lax 2-functors from 11?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2019

One thing is that lax and colax monad morphisms (between monads with varying base categories) are lax and colax natural transformations between such lax 2-functors.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2019

Looking at the entry, currently it doesn’t make clear why one should care about the concept. What use have people put this to?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2019

I added a general way to produce graded monads. Perhaps that begins to answer Urs’s question. But it would be good to include some concrete examples.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber11.

Should we be heeding Mike’s advice?

My personal conclusion is that whenever we start seeing lax functors appearing, it’s a good bet that our 2-categories are really double categories.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Is that a good bet even when thinking of monads as lax functors?

• CommentRowNumber13.

I don’t think so. There I was talking about the question of lax functors forming the morphisms in a category, i.e. composing them with each other and so on. Here we’re looking instead at lax functors mainly as “diagrams”, i.e. as being the objects of a category rather than the morphisms in one. And of course we’re interested in monads in plenty of 2-categories that aren’t double categories in any nontrivial way, like CatCat for instance.

If I were trying to answer #9, I would probably start by looking at the references.

• CommentRowNumber14.

It may be more of a computer science thing, such as modalities in bounded linear logic and the graded state monad.

I’m looking into this a little since philosophers have devised graded modalities for degrees of necessity, obligation, and so on.

• CommentRowNumber15.

Added another example.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorTobias Fritz
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2019

Expanded on the utility of graded monads, and modified the grading of the graded list monad to include zero (since the list monad should contain the empty list).

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber17.

corrected & clarified previous edits

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber18.

Great, thanks!

I added annotation so we know the authors of theorems within the text.

Strangely here we have to separate letters in math mode, so mnm n rather than mnmn.

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber19.

Thanks! I’ll keep these things in mind for future edits.

By the way, one reason for restricting to monoidal categories as opposed to general 2-categories is that monoidal categories with lax monoidal functors can easily be treated as a 2-category, while arguably the collection of all 2-categories ought to be considered a 3-category. So it’s a technical simplification to consider merely deloopings.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2020

Added

• Dominic Orchard, Philip Wadler, Harley Eades, Unifying graded and parameterised monads, (arXiv:2001.10274)

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2022

Note that graded monads are enriched relative monads.

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2022

I have touched the Idea-section here, rewording at various places in an attempt to make it flow more nicely.

Where the lax \mathcal{M}-action is mentioned, I have hyperlinked with action of a monoidal category.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2022
    • (edited Dec 12th 2022)

I have completed the publication data for this item:

(In particular I have added the DOi link, so that it’s possible to actually see the article with a click or two.)

As usual, I am also copying this item into the author’s pages “Selected writings”-lists.

diff, v20, current