Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorjulesh
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2019

In the spirit of yesterday’s discussion about applied topics on the nLab, I have begun creating an article for game theory. The page previously existed just as a list of references, but there doesn’t seem to be an nForum thread about it.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Just a note about editing: the best way to make an announcement about changes to a page is to enter them in the “changes” text box below the edit area when you save the page. Then an nForum discussion thread will be automatically created, if it doesn’t exist already, and will be named so that future edit announcements will automatically go to the same thread and the “Discuss this page” link at the top of the page will go to that thread as well.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorjulesh

Got it, thanks

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorjulesh
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2019

Added some good solid speculation about homotopical game theory

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2019
    This seems utterly superficial. Other than sharing the word "homotopy" I don't see any connection. I would rather the nlab not be filled with wild speculation since it is already struggling to back many claims it is making. Perhaps I am being an old hermit, but I have yet to see what "applications" applied category theory has other than saying things we know in an obfuscated way.
    • CommentRowNumber6.

While I disagree with the overall opinion expressed in #5 (and especially the tone), in this particular case I do think that the connection to homotopy theory seems rather remote. I had a glance at the paper in question, and by the “homotopy method” it seems to refer to an essentially analytic/topological method for finding zeros or fixed points applied to examples in game theory, with practically nothing at all to do with what we call “homotopy theory”. What do you think, Jules: is there some deeper connection there that we’re missing?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I also find the second half of #5 overstated, but I would add to the first half that self-assessing one’s speculations as “good and solid” is almost always unconvincing for anyone else, and is likely to backfire.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2019

The link to the Cockett et. al. paper threw an error, so I changed it and also completed the author list

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2019
    • (edited Jul 15th 2019)

I think “good solid” was probably not intended seriously, i.e. was probably intended to be similar to “good old” :-).

The “since” in the third sentence of #5 seems to be something of a non sequitur!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2019

Re #9: is that a thing? I’d never heard “good solid” as an expression.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Regarding the ’homotopies’ of Herings and Peeters mentioned (in at least v5), I haven’t looked at the paper (in the journal Economic Theory), but I can imagine the authors just using topology, and jazzing up the name because one is moving continuously through a space of strategies, hence continuously deforming the strategy, which sounds like homotopy to the untrained ear.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Looking at the paper, the authors use a result of Browder about fixed points of maps [0,1]×SS[0,1] \times S\to S for compact convex SS\subset \mathbb{R}. Looks more like straight-up topology together with optimisation algorithms to me.

• CommentRowNumber13.

Okay, sounds like the speculation is not actually good or solid. (-: Is it worth retaining any mention of this paper on the page, or should we just delete the entire section?