Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2019

Idem for Mealy machines to link with Mealy morphism

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.

I am having a silly problem with the links to Moore machines. One of the links works perfectly, the other two just come out as text. (I’m probably doing something silly, but cannot see what it is.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Tried to fix the link (too many indenting spaces?)

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Extra closing $ was killing the link syntax on later lines.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

cross-linked with automaton.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber6.

Thanks for fixing that! Doh!

It may be worthwhile adding more on this automata theoretic stuff, but I’m not sure what would make sense to add. The link with higher dimensional automata might be feasible but is not that obvious.

• CommentRowNumber7.

added a reference. More needed.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • (edited Jul 18th 2019)

Looking at this entry, I would find it difficult to write down an explicit definition of a Mealy morphism. I think it could be done but I would not be certain if I got it right or not! I do not have access to Bob Paré’s original as it is behind a paywall. Could some kind person add the definition to the entry?

This is really just for completeness as I do not intend to work on this myself. It would also be great if someone included the conceptual link between Mealy morphisms and Mealy machines as well and to ask a dumb question, is there some link between morphisms of Mealy machines as defined in the coalgebraic context and notions here?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2023
    • (edited Aug 25th 2023)

have touched the formatting of the traditional component definition (here)

added a remark (here) translating to the more compact definitions of effectful maps

(after some searching I still don’t find a citable reference which says this really well: The author of github.com/orakaro/MonadicMealyMachine has it right, but all other authors I found who at least think about currying I×SO×SI \times S \to O \times S curry it as S[I,S×O]S \to [I, S \times O] instead of the more natural I[S,S×O]I \to [S, S \times O].)

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Won’t anyone speaking of the Kleisli category of the state monad count? Such as here p. 462.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Right, thanks. I had previously looked through this article but had missed that side remark on the top of p. 462. Have added it now to the entry.

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorFosco

I stubbed the definition of Mealy machine in a generic (at the moment, symmetric) monoidal category. References and a more lengthy description to be added later.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2023

Thanks for joining in – but the text logic is broken now:

The remark titled (by me) “Mealy machines as effectful maps” is now re-filled with material that says nothing at all about effectful maps.

The half of my lead-in sentence which you retained, advertizing a “more concise” formulation, is contradicted by your definition of “Mly()Mly(-)” which is everything but more concise. In fact it’s hard to see what it has to do with Mealy machines, and I’d please urge you to add explanation of why one would want to make this definition.

But first, I’ll restore my latest version of the entry now and then append the material you added to the end of that.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2023

So I have moved your material to its own subsection, now here

and added pointer to the preprints that it is taken from:

Prop. 3.5 in

and Def. 2.1 in:

I have also polished up the typesetting a little.

Finally I prefixed the pullback-definition of MlyMly with a couple of paragraphs on regarding Mealy machines as spans.

diff, v8, current