Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. adding formula search possibility

Michael Kohlhase

diff, v7, current

2. get around numbering confusion

Michael Kohlhase

diff, v7, current

3. still fixing heading confusion

Michael Kohlhase

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2019

Thanks, but this looks perilously close to advertising. What do others think?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov

If this was posted somewhere read by a large number of people that need a formula search engine, it probably would qualify as advertisement.

But context matters, I do not think that explaining what MWS is on this page qualifies as an advertisement.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • (edited Aug 6th 2019)

I tried to search for some things, but the current description is incomprehensible and lacks examples. Additionally, the provided link that supposedly should have examples does not have any.

For instance, I searched for

?a^*(?b)\to ?c

which presumably would search for things like f*(A)→B. Instead, it finds formulas like A*×T→S⁢ in the article schedule.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I don’t understand how the section about MWS is relevant to searching the nLab, which is the subject of the page in question.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Okay, maybe I should read the whole page; I see from the first section that there is an instance of MWS for the nLab. If MWS is actually useful for searching the nLab, it makes sense to cover it on this page. However, in that case I think the separate text should be condensed and incorporated into that bullet point, e.g.

nLab Formula Search provides an instance for the nLab of the MathWebSearch engine (a content-based search engine for MathML formulae using Substitution Tree Indexing). To use it… This project is still under development; bug reports and feature requests can be submitted at its github repository.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Aug 6th 2019)

Michael and team have been in touch for us for some time (more than a year and a half); Bas is the main person who has been corresponding with them. In particular, Bas invited Michael to edit this page with the express purpose of advertising the tool :-). Yes, there is a version specifically for the nLab. I have not really looked into it myself.

4. By the way, MathWebSearch is not searching the current nLab but an experimental thing I set up over a year ago. I have notified Michael and his team (I think that when Michael and his team were beginning work on this, they were browsing the nForum, stumbled on the experimental stuff, and must have been confused). This might explain seemingly strange results.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2019

Have a look at the examples page. It looks quite nice. MWS is available at ZentralBlatt and they’ve kindly provided the tool for the nlab too.

Re #6, I’m not sure about that example. It seems like a bug, maybe you can report it.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorXinYaanZyoy
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2023
    • (edited Jul 3rd 2023)
    Hi, there! I was trying to add the nLab built-in search engine to my browser, and the queries are working well. but, I was also hoping to find the "Suggest URL" for the nlab search engine API somewhere on this page. I am here to inquire if this is even implemented?
  5. Hi, there! I was trying to add the nLab built-in search engine to my browser, and the queries are working well. but, I was also hoping to find the “Suggest URL” for the nlab search engine API somewhere on this page. I am here to inquire if this is even implemented?

That’s not implemented. If you want to add it, you can contribute a pull request to Instiki (here is the current search method), which we can then port to the nLab. Maybe you can rank completion suggestions by number of revisions as a proxy for popularity?