Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2019
    • (edited Aug 25th 2019)

Following discussion here

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added a tad more

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 25th 2019)

made explicit that the first three in the sequence are automorphism groups of real normed division algebras:

n=n= 1 2 3 4
    DI(n)=DI(n)= Z/2 SO(3) G2 G3
    = Aut(C) = Aut(H) = Aut(O)

This suggests that DI(n)DI(n) for n=0n = 0 makes sense and is the point. Is it?

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2019

Added:

G 3G_3 is the only exotic 2-group, or, in other words, the only simple 2-compact group not arising as the 2-completion of a compact connected Lie group (Bendersky-Davis 07, p. 1).

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. I have moved this from the Idea-section to the Properties-section, and added pointer to p-compact group.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Added reference

• Kasper Andersen, Jesper Grodal, The classification of 2-compact groups, (arXiv:math/0611437)

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber7.

Added details about the ring of invariants.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 26th 2019)

Jack Morava writes in to remark that the notation G 3G_3 should not be attributed to him, but to

section 2.4 in

Jesper M\oller, Homotopy Lie groups, Bulletin of the AMS 32 (1995) 413 -428

I can’t edit right now, maybe later

[edit: have added it to the entry now]

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 26th 2019)

Since, if I see correctly, DI(0)=1=Aut ()DI(0) = 1 = Aut_{\mathbb{R}}(\mathbb{R}), we may complete the table as follows, and I have made that edit in the entry:

n=n= 0 1 2 3 4
    DI(n)=DI(n)= 1 Z/2 SO(3) G2 G3
    = Aut(R) = Aut(C) = Aut(H) = Aut(O)

So it would be really interesting now to see how far G 3G_3 is from the automorphisms of the sedenions. Or, better yet, how far that thing that G 3G_3 is the actual automorphisms of is from the sedenions. Maybe the sedenions are a dead end, and nature is telling us to look for the “homotopy octonions”…

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2019
    • (edited Aug 27th 2019)

Added references to homotopy colimit construction.

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber11.

Something on the relationship to the third Conway group.

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber12.

Interesting. At the end of his talk ’A new approach to the Leech lattice’, Robert Wilson writes:

Perhaps it will explain the ‘2-local group’ BDI(4)B D I(4) which contains Co 3Co_3 and looks as though it should be some kind of twist of ‘skew-symmetric 3×33 \times 3 matrices over octonions’.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for the pointer! Have added that to the entry, too (here)

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Should make it “Robert A. Wilson”, but you are editing now…

• CommentRowNumber15.

A little more on the Co 3Co_3 link.

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Now if what Wilson means by “skew-symmetric 3×33 \times 3-matrices over the octonions” connects to the Albert algebra, that would be something, and a rough physics picture would immediately spring to mind.

So where does he get this from, that G 3G_3 is “some kind of twist skew-symmetric 3×33 \times 3-matrices over the octonions”. Does this come from CO 3CO_3 inside it?

• CommentRowNumber17.

I was wondering whether that idea of centrally extending 0|3\mathbb{R}^{0|3} might be relevant.

Not sure how Wilson’s reasoning has gone. Elsewhere there is

As the Dwyer–Wilkerson 2-compact group is, in some sense, a 45-dimensional object, it is a plausible conjecture that it might have some connection to the 45-dimensional algebra SH(3,𝕆)S H(3, \mathbb{O}) of 3×33 \times 3 skew hermitian matrices over the octonions with bracket multiplication). (p. 175 of Conjectures on finite and p-local groups)

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, interesting, thanks. So for one I learn that Wilson’s “skew-symmetric” did not refer to “hermitian” (as in the Albert algebra), but to “skew-hermitian”. But it’s still curious how close this is now to the Albert algebra.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have recorded this in the entry, here

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hm, now there is an obvious relation, isn’t there:

If it were not for non-associativity of the octonions, the skew-hermitian 3×33 \times 3 octonion matrices would be the Lie algebra of the unitary 3×33 \times 3 matrices, which in turn would act on the 3×33 \times 3 hermitian matrices in the Albert algebra by automorphisms.

Only that non-associativity prevents these unitary matrices from actually forming a group… but so maybe they form the \infty-group G 3G_3?!

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 27th 2019)

[ … ]

• CommentRowNumber22.

If you can see the bottom of this page from Google Books, Benson is wondering about a 45-dimensional algebra of skew-hermitian matrices over a 2-adic version of the octonions, and points to a problem with a 21-dim subalgebra being C 3C_3 instead of B 3B_3. “But there may be some twisted version of this which works.”

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! Unfortunatly, GoogleBooks decides to hide this from me. I’ll see if I get a copy elsewhere.

Just started to look around if anyone had made a proposal for U(3,𝕆)U(3,\mathbb{O}). There is an MO-question here, but no real reply,

• CommentRowNumber24.

Added tentative claim of a 15-dim homotopy representation.

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2019

I guess given the action of SO(3)SO(3) on imaginary quaternions (dim 3) and G 2G_2 on imaginary octonions (dim 7), 15 might be expected.

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2019

Okay, if that’s the pattern, then the number 15 here should be identified with the dimension of the space of imaginary sedenions, inside the 16-dimensional space of all sedenions.

That goes against the grain of having G 3G_3 be the automorphisms of the Albert algebra, but okay. Or might there be a natural way in which the sedenions sit inside the Albert algebra?

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2019
    • (edited Aug 29th 2019)

Putting things figuratively, I guess when a concept is put under this much pressure, we should only expect at best traces of features that were there before. G 3G_3 seems to be a vestige, hanging on by its finger tips in the 2-adic world. We might plausibly expect then a trace of the sedenions.

Do we have a rationale for the 3×33 \times 3-aspect, beyond the numerology of 45? Benson in #22 speaks of a “tempting candidate”, but I haven’t seen an explanation of 3 dimensions, unless Wilson (#12) is pointing to this with his 3 octonionic dimensional construction of the Leech lattice.

Does G 2G_2 have any such thing going on?

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2019

Yeah, I don’t know if people have more than plain numerology 45 = 45 for the 3×33 \times 3 picture. I was initially assuming they must have, for otherwise it would not seem worth mentioning even. But if so, I haven’t seen it either.

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2019

Added some rationale for the 3 dim proposal.

diff, v17, current

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. What’s your references Benson98 ?

• CommentRowNumber31.

It was there but had ) instead of }, so nothing appeared. Fixed now.

This is the reference mentioned in #22, with the warning about BB and CC groups.

It would be fun to work out how the sporadic finite simple groups show up. Over at the Café, John posted on Theo Johnson-Freyd and David Treumann’s calculation of the fourth cohomology of Co 0Co_0. There’s plenty of ’physics’ talk, e.g., Theo:

My motivation was the following. There is a holomorphic N=1N=1 SCFT called V fV^{f\natural} with automorphism group Co 1Co_1, first constructed by John Duncan. This Co 1Co_1 action is anomalous, meaning that there is an obstruction to gauging it. The anomaly comes in two pieces. First, “the” Ramond sector of an SCFT is only well-defined up to isomorphism, and so symmetries of an SCFT act projectively on the Ramond sector, but to gauge a symmetry requires promoting that action to an honest action. This requires lifting from Co 1Co_1 to its double cover Co 0Co_0. Second, there is still an H 4(Co 0;Z)H^4(Co_0; Z) valued anomaly, which can be canceled by anomaly-inflow from a 3D Dijkgraaf—Witten model. Equivalently, to trivialize the anomaly requires pulling back from Co 0Co_0 to the appropriate 3-group.

I claim that of the 24 3-groups, the one that trivializes this anomaly is specifically the one corresponding to our generator of H 4(Co 0;Z)H^4(Co_0; Z), namely the fractional Pontryagin class of the 24-dimensional representation.

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2019

Added a reference:

• Michael Aschbacher, Andrew Chermak, A group-theoretic approach to a family of 2-local finite groups constructed by Levi and Oliver, (paper)

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber33.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2020
    I think the claims about the Euler characteristic of G_3/Spin(7) of Dwyer-Wilkerson are false. The mod-2 Euler characteristic is 15, and the rational Euler characteristic is 7. The latter follows from the fact that 7 is the index of the Weyl group of Spin(7) in the Weyl group of G_3. Both claims are corroborated in
    J. Aguadé, "The torsion index of a p-compact group", Proceedings of the AMS 138(11) , 2010, p. 4133.

- Tilman Bauer
    • CommentRowNumber34.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. Made a brief note in the entry, here. Please feel invited to edit.

• CommentRowNumber35.

Notbohm agrees with Aguadé, referring to a misprint in Dwyer-Wilkerson, so I’ve corrected and added this location.

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber36.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 10th 2020)

Excellent, thanks!

(For bystanders: It’s about this part of the entry.)