Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2020

Started the page. First question: is homotopy theory a part of algebraic topology?

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • (edited Apr 5th 2020)

Previous forum page with exactly the same title: https://nforum.ncatlab.org/discussion/9582/homotopy-theory-faq/

Why are they not merged?

• CommentRowNumber3.

Added some possible further questions.

Please feel free to answer!

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber4.

Added a section on homotopy theory.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber5.

Added a section on algebraic topology.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 5th 2020)

Great idea!

Have added hyperlinks to a few more keywords.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber7.

Added a section on “spaces”.

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber8.

Added a section on models.

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 5th 2020)

I have added redirects to a bunch of other entries in order to make hyperlinks here come out.

(Not sure why the redirect to “Theta-n space” refuses to work.)

I suggest that if you really want an entry “mathematical object” you start a stub right now.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber10.

Answered two more questions.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber11.

Answered another question.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber12.

Answered another question.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber13.

Answer the question about homotopical algebra.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber14.

Answer the question about model categories.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber15.

Answered the question about higher category theory.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber16.

Answered the question about derived functors.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2020

Finished answering questions.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber18.

Added references.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 6th 2020)

Thanks for all this. Just to say that I think eventually the question “What is homotopy theory?” should be the first in the list and should be added some lead-in sentences with an actual explanation, before the list of technical terms is being discussed.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Yes, thanks. Presumably “What is homotopy theory?” would be answered along the same lines as the Idea section of homotopy theory. “What is string theory?” at string theory FAQ and the Idea at string theory appear to be written at a similar level of sophistication. I guess it gives an opportunity to provide a second account.

Quotations like Barwick’s in the existing first section could go there:

I think of homotopy theory as an enrichment of the notion of equality, dedicated to the primacy of structure over properties. Simplistic and abstract though this idea is, it leads rapidly to a whole universe of nontrivial structures.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, something along these lines would be good to add.

For the purpose of basic exposition I would go further and add something like the first lines here.

Next, I think it would be good to address the sizeable group of people who are mathematically sophisticated, just not in homotopy theory. There are people who appreciate concepts like derived categories, dgc-algraic geometry, but who black out at the term “homotopy theory”. This audience deserves a sentence on how homotopy theory is secretly behind all these niceties.

I can add something myself. But not right now.

• CommentRowNumber22.

Renamed two questions and added two new questions.

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • (edited Apr 6th 2020)

I renamed the current questions “What is …” to “What objects does … study”, since it describes them much more accurately.

I added a new section “What is homotopy theory?”. Somebody who understands the mindset of outsiders should fill it in.

I am hesitant to do this because it is far too easy to descend into handwavy arguments that will still be incomprehensible to outsiders. Maybe a bunch of concrete examples would help.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2020

Answered the question about derived categories.

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2023

In the section Is homotopy theory part of algebraic topology? (here) I have

hyperlinked the references

properly rendered the two footnotes within the Barwick quote (here): now they appear as superscripts as they should, and hyperlinked, too.

diff, v16, current