Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorpaikeos
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2020
    Before asking a question, I would like to clarify two things.
    Firstly, my ability to write in English is not a high level, and therefore I use a translator.
    Secondly, I’m only going to study category theory, and therefore my question may in principle be incorrect.
    But let's move on to the question itself:
    Is it possible to well define the concept of “weak α-category”, where α is an arbitrary ordinal?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2020
    • (edited May 6th 2020)

You can define it by transfinite induction, together with a functor that sends weak β-categories to weak α-categories for all β<α and possibly with a truncation functor that sends weak α-categories to weak β-categories for all β<α: a weak α+1-category is a category weakly enriched in weak α-categories, and for a limit ordinal α, a weak α-category can be defined in two different, incompatible ways: as a weak β-category for any β<α, or as a compatible family of weak β-categories, one for each β<α, so that for any β’<β” the β”-th category truncates to the β’-th category.