Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorarsmath
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2020

Mention connection with normal covers.

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • (edited May 11th 2020)
    Normal covers coincide with numerable covers.

This is a theorem (proved in stages) due to Ernest Michael, Kiiti Morita, and Arthur H. Stone, see Morita [1, Theorem 1.2]

[1]: Kiiti Morita.
    Paracompactness and product spaces.
    Fundamenta Mathematicae 50:3 (1962), 223–236.
    doi:10.4064/fm-50-3-223-236.
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited May 11th 2020)
    An aside: this is the first new query box I have seen in years.

Aren't these supposed to be posted directly to the nForum now?

Perhaps there is a leftover instruction to post query boxes somewhere on the nLab?
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, best not to use query boxes, as they will more likely be ignored and, if not, there is no good way to discuss what to do in reaction.

The HowTo still announces query boxes here, only to say as an afterthought that they shouldn’t be used. It does so by claiming that

the wiki software does contain a mechanism for putting questions and comments on a wiki page itself:

which is very generous towards “the wiki software”.

I suggest to clear the entire section HowTo – Make comments and ask questions and replace it by a pointer to the nForum.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    I am not sure about clearing the entire section, but the paragraph about query boxes should definitely be deleted.
    • CommentRowNumber6.

Added alternative characterizations.

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    This comment is invalid XML; displaying source. <p>Unable to make the list format properly. Giving up.</p> <p>XML Parsing Error: mismatched tag. Expected: </li>. Location: https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/numerable+open+cover Line Number 1173, Column 403:</p> <p><a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/revision/diff/numerable+open+cover/11">diff</a>, <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/revision/numerable+open+cover/11">v11</a>, <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/numerable+open+cover">current</a></p>
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • (edited May 11th 2020)

This is bizarre.

Revision 11 formats correctly: https://ncatlab.org/nlab/revision/numerable+open+cover/11

The current revision is identical to Revision 11, but does not format correctly: https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/numerable+open+cover

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Typo, and trying a minor edit to the list to see if that fixes things.

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber10.

This is definitely a bug in the parser, since the interface should not even allow saving pages when XML errors are present.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2020

OK, I fixed it by making sure the \end{proposition} was in a new paragraph. But for me, at least, none of the TeX-like syntax is rendering.

• CommentRowNumber12.

\cite was supposed to be working, I have definitely seen it to produce something other than the TeX code.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorarsmath

Found citation.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber14.

Added a bunch of references.

diff, v15, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorarsmath
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2020

Query now answered, so I’m removing the query box.

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2020
    Sorry, I haven't edited nLab since the heyday of query boxes, so I wasn't aware they were deprecated.

Thanks for the update to the article. I was confused on whether normal and numerable were the same, since one literature uses one term, and one literature uses the other. FWIW the Hoshina article has most of the details, other than the shape theory result.

arsmath
    • CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2021
    • (edited Mar 22nd 2021)

Touched the wording:

• function \mapsto continuous function;

• support is already defined to be the closure;

• made the forall quantifier render more intelligibly

fixed code for a bunch of references

diff, v17, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2022
    • (edited Jun 20th 2022)

I am fixing the broken syntax introduced in rev 11.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2022

added pointer to:

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2022
    • (edited Jul 17th 2022)

Concerning this paragraph (written by David Roberts, I believe):

There is also a 1944 result by Dieudonnne that numerable covers are cofinal in locally finite covers of normal spaces — need to add this! See, eg, Theorem 6.3 of Howes’ Modern analysis and topology.

I looked into Howes’s book and he indeed claims that Dieudonné proved that locally finite open covers of normal spaces are numerable in his 1944 paracompactness paper.

However, Dieudonné’s paper is only 12 pages long, and after looking through it several times I do not see any mentions of partitions of unity, let alone the theorem mentioned above.

The only results about locally finite open covers that it seems to have is Theorem 6, which shows that point-finite open covers can be refined by open covers whose closure refines the original open cover.

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2022

Odd! Is this even true, then?

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentRowNumber23.

Oh, good!