Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2020

Added the Radon-Nikodym theorem.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

“Truly continuous” is a synonym for “absolutely continuous”?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited May 30th 2020)

No. It is explained in the statment (“the latter means…”).

Absolutely continuous is used in the corollary, which restricts to the σ-finite case.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2020

Added an example when absolutely continuous does not imply truly continuous.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorPaoloPerrone

I’m very pleased to see that so much measure theory is being added to the nLab. Thank you Dmitri!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 1st 2020)

Yes, it’s great that Dmitri is adding content – here on measure theory and elsewhere!

By the way, if you are fond of measure theory on the nnLab, please do consider updating the topic cluster list

when you create a new entry, and don’t forget to add the floating topic cluster menu to all the entries on measure theory, by adding this code at the top of each entry:

+-- {: .rightHandSide}
      +-- {: .toc .clickDown tabindex="0"}
      ### Context
      #### Measure and probability theory
      +-- {: .hide}
      [[!include measure theory - contents]]
      =--
      =--
      =--

(If nothing else, this helps Google spread the word about the content you are adding.)

• CommentRowNumber7.

Added the Lebesgue decomposition theorem.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorPaoloPerrone
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2020
    • (edited Jun 2nd 2020)

Actually, now that we are at it, I would like to ask if we can split the “measure and probability theory” context into two, namely, measure theory and probability theory. This for a variety of reasons:

• While related, they are not quite the same subject, nor the same community (think algebraic topology and homotopy theory);
    • The nLab is getting enough articles in those topics to have enough to say about both separately;
    • There are many current categorical approaches to probability theory (such as Markov categories) which do not involve measure theory directly;
    • Conversely, there are many categorical approaches to measure theory (such as the theory of valuations) which, albeit one can use them indirectly to do probability theory, are primarily about measure theory itself.

What does the community think?

(Also, is this doable without manually editing a lot of pages?)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2020

I agree, and I can add that probability theory studies random variables and their properties such as independence, as opposed to measure spaces.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Previously, one could see a list of backreferences indicating articles linking to the given article.

I can no longer find it.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • (edited Jun 3rd 2020)

Re #8, I can see that one would want to distinguish the two areas, but at the moment the context is calling measure theory - contents. This has a ’thermodynamics’ section too. If we’re only limiting contexts to narrowly defined fields, that section would have to go.

Many of the contents pages have entries in neighbouring fields, e.g., combinatorics - contents has a section on graph theory.

I guess it all depends on how people see the function of these contexts. I barely ever use them.

I see there’s a contents of contents page listing contents pages from 2011-08-10, which could be explored (and updated).

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

What does the community think?

Do what you find useful for yourself and for users of your pages.

More critical than cosmetic issues is always the content itself. If you take care of compiling a nice comprehensive list of contents for measure theory and/or probability theory, then I can lend a hand with fine-tuning the formatting/layout.

Also, is this doable without manually editing a lot of pages?

No. But if you take care of adding the content I can find 8 minutes to take care of such cosmetic issues. I have practice in doing that :-)

Previously, one could see a list of backreferences indicating articles linking to the given article. I can no longer find it.

This functionality was deactivated long ago because it produced a huge worm of terms at the bottom of each page, blindly wrapping around lines. It would of course be useful to have that list of terms be displayed not by default on each page but on demand. If we want that, I guess we have to ask in “Bugs and feature requests.”

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2020

Another example of absolutely continuous, but not truly continuous measure.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2020

Truly continuous measures form a free module of rank 1.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2020

Additional remarks about absolute and true continuity.

diff, v10, current