Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2020
    • (edited Jun 14th 2020)

am giving this an entry of its own, split off from motivic homotopy theory.

Nothing much here yet, just a bare minimum so far

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2020
    • (edited Jun 14th 2020)

Incidentally, what is the right way to say “complement” V{x}V \setminus \{x\} more generally in a topos, for a general pointed object VV?

I suppose: the union of all subobjects UVU \hookrightarrow V such that we have a Cartesian square

* x U V \array{ \varnothing &\longrightarrow& \ast \\ \big\downarrow && \big\downarrow{\mathrlap{{}^x}} \\ U &\hookrightarrow& V }

Not a big deal, I suppose, but does anyone discuss Tate spheres in this generality?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2020

I am being dumb, please help:

Given a monomorphism between 0-truncated objects in an \infty-topos, what’s the abstract argument (not via simplicial presheaves) that its homotopy cofiber is also 0-truncated?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorjalfy
    • (edited Jun 27th 2020)

If f:XYf : X \to Y is a monomorphism, then its pushout along XptX \to pt is a monomorphism. That is, the map ptZpt \to Z is (1)(-1)-truncated where ZZ is the cofiber of ff. A map is (1)(-1)-truncated by definition if its fibers are (1)(-1)-truncated, so Ω(Z)\Omega(Z) is 1-1-truncated. In other words ZZ is 00-truncated.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

That’s just the homotopy fiber at the basepoint. Why is that sufficient?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorjalfy
    • (edited Jun 27th 2020)

Sorry, was thinking of the pointed setting.

So we have to show Ω(Z,g(y))\Omega(Z, g(y)) is weakly contractible for every yYXy \in Y \setminus X. We can at least see that it is discrete as follows:

Note g:YZg : Y \to Z is 0-truncated, as the pushout of XptX \to \pt. So its fiber F yF_y over any point g(y)Zg(y) \in Z (yYy \in Y) is 00-truncated. We may write

Ω(Z,g(y))={g(y)}× Z{g(y)}={g(y)}× ZY× Y{y}=F y× Y{y}.\Omega(Z, g(y)) = \{g(y)\} \times_Z \{g(y)\} = \{g(y)\} \times_Z Y \times_Y \{y\} = F_y \times_Y \{y\}.

This is a pullback of 00-truncated objects, hence is 00-truncated.

Somehow I also don’t see a clean argument that it is (1)(-1)-truncated though.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. Notice that I really do need this for sheaves, where we cannot argue with global points.

Specifically in view of the topic of this thread I am looking at a class of examples where the pushout has only two global points in the first place, hence is far from being a concrete sheaf.

Incidentally, it’s trivial to see the statement in terms of prsentation by an injective model structure, using that the (-1)-truncated morphism is then represented by a monomorphism of presheaves, which is hence a cofibration of simplicial presheaves.

But it feels like this statement should have a quick intrinsic argument.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2020
    • (edited Jul 29th 2020)

Late night thought:

Do Tate spheres represent configuration spaces of points?

For consider, in the smooth category (i.e. in the sheaf topos over the site of smooth manifolds), morphisms from Cartesian space to its Tate sphere:

n n/( n{0}) \mathbb{R}^n \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^n/ (\mathbb{R}^n \setminus \{0\})

We get such morphisms from, in particular, a choice of point x nx \in \mathbb{R}^n, namely induced from any affine map n n\mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}^n which takes the origin to xx. This is such that any other point in n\mathbb{R}^n goes to the base point of the Tate sphere, while the germ around xx maps to identically wrap around the Tate sphere.

Now, sheafifying this construction, we see that general maps n n/( n{0})\mathbb{R}^n \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^n/ (\mathbb{R}^n \setminus \{0\}) include those given by any configuration of points in n\mathbb{R}^n, sending the germ around any point in the configuration to identically wrap the Tate sphere and sending all points not in the configuration to the base point.

It feels like this construction should exhaust the set of such maps, though I don’t see right now how to prove this. But if true, then the internal hom Maps( n, n/( n{0})Maps\big(\mathbb{R}^n, \mathbb{R}^n/ (\mathbb{R}^n \setminus \{0\}\big) should be close to being the unordered configuration space of points in n\mathbb{R}^n, with its canonical smooth structure. (Or a bit fatter than that, including the choice of a germ of frames around each point.)

Just thinking out loud here. Is anything like this discussed in the literature? (The algebraic geometers might substitute “Hilbert scheme” for “configuration space”, throughout.)

1. Linked to Tate twist, both in the ’Related concepts’ section and in the introduction. Added some brief remarks on the relationship.

Is there a reason by the way to name this page ’Tate sphere’ rather than ’Tate circle’ this point? If we keep the name ’Tate sphere’, we should add ’Tate circle’ as a redirect I think.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2020

The Tate circle is 𝔸 1{0}\mathbb{A}^1 \setminus \{0\}.

The Tate sphere is 𝔸 1/(𝔸 1{0})\mathbb{A}^1/(\mathbb{A}^1 \setminus \{0\}).

(E.g. Voevodsky 07 p. 3, p. 13).

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

(Some people do say “Tate sphere” for the Tate circle, but not conversely, as far as I am aware. Generally, it’s common to call a circle a “1-sphere”, but nobody calls the sphere a “2-circle”.)

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Jul 30th 2020)

Yes, after I wrote the above I reflected that Tate circle would be confusing. I’m not massively keen on Tate sphere, but I suppose the terminology comes from the fact that it is 𝔸 1\mathbb{A}^1-weakly equivalent to 1\mathbb{P}^1, which over \mathbb{C} is a sphere of course. A bit tenuous in general though, especially for this page where it is considered more generally than the setting of 𝔸 1\mathbb{A}^1-homotopy theory.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

And what’s the relation to Tate twists?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Jul 30th 2020)

I tried to roughly explain this in the entry. When forming the stable motivic homotopy category, we invert smashing with 1\mathbb{P}^{1}. The difference between doing this and inverting smashing with S 1S^{1} is exactly the ability to represent the Tate twist part of motivic cohomology theories. If you’re looking for something precise, see for example Theorem 10.2 in Mazza, Voevodsky, Weibel: H L p,q(X,/n)H^{p,q}_{L}(X, \mathbb{Z} / n), the étale motivic cohomology of X/kX / k with coefficients in /n\mathbb{Z} / n where nn is prime to the characteristic of kk, is isomorphic H et p(X,/n(q))H^{p}_{et}(X, \mathbb{Z}/n(q)), the étale cohomology of XX with coefficients in the qq-th Tate twist of /n\mathbb{Z}/n. And to represent the qq part of motivic cohomology, i.e. the Tate twist part of étale cohomology with these coefficients, is exactly what inverting the Tate sphere (or in other words 𝔾 m\mathbb{G}_{m} as well as 𝕊 1\mathbb{S}^{1}) rather than just S 1S^{1} allows.

I am not convinced of the deep significance of the description 𝔸 1/𝔾 m\mathbb{A}^{1} / \mathbb{G}_{m} motivically really. It is 1\mathbb{P}^{1} that is really important, and the description S 1𝔾 mS^{1} \wedge \mathbb{G}_{m} is also important in 𝔸 1\mathbb{A}^{1}-homotopy theory.

As I wrote in the entry, it is essentially the same story for pure motives, taking again the fact that the Tate sphere is 1\mathbb{P}^{1} as primary.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2020

I tried to roughly explain this in the entry.

In which entry? At Tate sphere is just says

The Tate sphere gives rise to Tate twists

The sentences that follow just say that the Tate sphere is inverted in motivic homotopy theory.

That’s why I was asking.

If you’re looking for something precise

Since we are in the Idea section, something imprecise would be okay, possibly even desireable, but it should be contentful.

2. Ah, I see, reading this again I see that I did not make the link between my first sentence and the rest of the paragraph very clear; thanks! I have now rephrased things, I hope it is better now. Feel free to tweak/elaborate.

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2020
    • (edited Aug 3rd 2020)

The paragraph starting with

In formal constructions of categories of motives, one typically ‘inverts the Tate sphere’

is reasonable at this point, but the two paragraphs that follow would seem to better fit in an entry like motivic homotopy theory. To keep them here would mean to effectively merge the entry Tate sphere back into the general discussion of motivic homotopy theory from which I had split it off for focus. I suggest you cut-and-paste this material to where it fits better.

3. The idea was to explain that the inverting of the Tate sphere is not just about representing motivic Tate twists, but ordinary ones in étale cohomology as well. But I’ve removed the two paragraphs now and added them to étale cohomology.

diff, v7, current