Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHDB
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2020
    • (edited Sep 22nd 2020)
    Hello, I find the nLab a really nice wiki for math but there is one thing that bothers me: the appearance of math text. Sometimes parts of formulas like exponents are just way off where they normally sit and then it really looks quite ugly and deplaced. Is it just on my browser or what is the reason for that? In case this is universal, why don‘t we use some method to make formulas have nicer appearance?

To not let you think wrongly of me, I want to assure that I think that the content is superb and I only try to understand what is the reason for me cringing at the display of text occasionally.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2020

I suspect it may be your browser or something else local. Can you post a screenshot?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorHDB
    • (edited Sep 23rd 2020)

For example this line coming from generalized (Eilenberg-Steenrod) cohomology:

E˜:(XfY)(E˜ (Y)f *E˜ (X)). \tilde E \;\colon\; (X \stackrel{f}{\longrightarrow} Y) \mapsto (\tilde E^\bullet(Y) \stackrel{f^\ast}{\longrightarrow} \tilde E^\bullet(X)) \,.

The tildes and bullets float over the E‘s with a gap of half the size of the letter below. I‘m now on the safari browser, but the appearance of the site seems to be the same on the iPad version of Firefox, which should be the browser recommended on the HomePage under Software requirements or am I missing something?

Unfortunately I didn‘t manage to upload a screenshot but it will probably suffice if you just tell me wether you see this gap, too. Many thanks for your time in advance!

Edit: Ok now I see that it works in this comment, there is no gap anymore, but I am quite surprised as it does still have a gap when clicking on the links, also on Firefox. Yet I did not provide an example even for myself. My question reduces to wether the copied and original line from the Cohomology entry are both displayed both in the exactly same way on your system. (Last remark: Strangely the nicer typesetting only appeared after publishing the comment, not in preview, don‘t know why.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

the nicer typesetting only appeared after publishing the comment, not in preview

That piece of info might serve to nail down the problem, when Richard sees this.