Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2020

Am splitting this off from complex oriented cohomology theory. For the moment just collecting references

How about equivariant elliptic cohomolgy? When is it equivariantly complex orientable?

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2020

added this pointer:

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Can we take it that equivariant complex cobordism theory is the “universal” equivariant complex oriented cohomology theory?

Let’s see

• William Abram, Equivariant Complex Cobordism, 2013, (PhD thesis)

speaks of Greenlees’ Conjecture III.2 and takes some steps, but it’s certainly not resolved there.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Added

It has been conjectured that equivariant complex cobordism theory is the universal equivariant complex oriented cohomology theory.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 8th 2020)

Thanks. I have slightly rephrased to make it clearer that it’s known to be an example, just not known to be universal as such.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2020

added the argument (here) for the canonical equivariant complex orientation of equivariant complex K-theory

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2020
    • (edited Nov 20th 2020)

I have changed the statement on the allegedly conjectural universal property of equivariant MUMU:

The main theorem of Cole-Greenlees-Kriz 02 does prove the expected universal property.

I guess what may remain conjectural is the version in terms of the equivariant Lazard ring away from the Noetherian case, and/or the generalization away from orientations in degree 2 (?).

Dunno yet, will try to add clarifications once I see through this. But for the moment, for the entry to not be misleading and to be more informative, I have made the bit on equivariant MUMU read as follows:

For an abelian compact Lie group GG, equivariant complex cobordism theory MU GMU_G is an equivariant complex oriented cohomology theory (Greenlees 01, Sec. 13).

Much as in the non-equivariant case (see at universal complex orientation on MU), MU GMU_G is universal in that there is a bijection between equivariant complex orientations (in degree 2) on some cohomology theory E GE_G and homotopy ring homomorphisms of GG-spectra MU GE GMU_G \to E_G (Cole-Greenlees-Kriz 02, Theorem 1.2).

For the analogous statement on the equivariant Lazard ring see Greenlees 01, Sec. 13, Cole-Greenlees-Kriz 02, Theorem 1.3.

Another point that needs clarification here is that there are different versions of “equivariant cobordism theory” and of “equivariant MUMU” and not all of them are related as one might hope. Will try to sort this out…

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber8.

Is anything known for nonabelian groups?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Good question. Most authors focus on abelian compact Lie groups. I gather extension from abelian to general compact Lie groups has more recently been a topic of investigation for elliptic cohomology theories, following the indications in Lurie’s “survey”; and I gather David Gepner et al. have been working on this. The current endpoint of this development might be Gepner-Meier 20, but I haven’t really read it yet.