Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010
    • (edited May 10th 2010)

Are all CGWH (compactly generated weak Hausdorff) spaces m-cofibrant? If not, is there a convenient category of topological spaces where all of the spaces are m-cofibrant? Can we have our cake and eat it too, or do we have to make a choice between these two nice properties (cartesian-closedness and the Whitehead property)?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

No. (-:

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited May 10th 2010)

How cryptic... Unfortunately, I asked questions that imply contradictory results, so could you at least specify which question(s) have negative answers?

Although an explanation of the reasoning seems like it could be interesting as well.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Well, I was in a hurry. (-:

Definitely, not all CGWH spaces are m-cofibrant. I’m pretty sure the topologist’s sine curve is CGWH, but it is not m-cofibrant or else it would be contractible, since it is weakly contractible.

It’s harder to give a definite counterexample to the second question, but I’m almost positive the answer is no, and certainly no known convenient category has that property. Things like the topologist’s sine curve are pretty easy to construct, so I expect that they will exist in any topological category containing, say, the real numbers, and having some limits and colimits.

There’s an amazing fact that if X is m-cofibrant and Y is compact, then X YX^Y is again m-cofibrant, so that in particular the loop space of an m-cofibrant space is again m-cofibrant. But the amazingness of this is because it’s not true without such an assumption on Y.

Your third and fourth questions, which are the ones that contradict each other, seem to be basically summarizing the first two. I think the answer is “no, we can’t have our cake and eat it too.”

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited May 10th 2010)

It's harder to give a definite counterexample to the second question, but I'm almost positive the answer is no, and certainly no known convenient category has that property. Things like the topologist's sine curve are pretty easy to construct, so I expect that they will exist in any topological category containing, say, the real numbers, and having some limits and colimits.

I guess I'll ask on MO.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010

Is it intended (and if so, is it wise?) that we have separate entries called

It would seem to me that these entries should be merged, and one made a redirect to the other. No?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010
    • (edited Jun 23rd 2010)

I see your point. However, I’m currently playing Bourbaki over at convenient category of topological spaces, focusing on what I thought were the original desiderata of people like Steenrod. I’d actually like to keep a technical distinction between these phrases, with “convenient” meaning what I’m saying it means (we can discuss this of course), and with “nice” having a wider and vaguer meaning.

A good way of explaining what I mean is that all convenient categories are “nice”, but compact Hausdorff spaces are also nice, and so are sequential spaces. There also also cartesian closed categories of spaces which arise in domain theory that may be nice for logicians and domain theorists, but not very convenient for most working topologists. Ditto for categories of locales. So “nice” for me would mean nice for a general mathematical purpose at hand, whereas “convenient” is technical and has mostly to do with the needs of algebraic topologists.

And although they are not categories of topological spaces, I would also place various toposes and quasitoposes of “spaces” under the general umbrella of “nice”, including for example Johnstone’s topological topos and the quasitopos of subsequential spaces. Possibly “nice” (but this to me is debatable) is Spanier’s quasitopological spaces.

Edit: the entry nice category of topological spaces does not currently exist, but nice category of spaces does. I think this is very much in keeping with what I said above.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • (edited Jun 23rd 2010)

Psh, if you were playing Bourbaki, you’d come up with a new name for it as well, like a “magma”, a “filter”, or a “uniform space”, or “semigroup”…

Bad joke? Don’t care!

• CommentRowNumber9.

I agree with Todd #7.

I find Spaniers quasitopological spaces intriguing, largely since they are one of the few categories I know of in which anyone has seriously considered doing mathematics which is not well-powered or well-copowered and whose forgetful functor to Set has large fibers. But perhaps those are some of the reasons their niceness is debatable, and they certainly don’t seem to ever have caught on.

• CommentRowNumber10.

whose forgetful functor to Set has large fibers

Yes! Even the two-point set has a proper class of quasitopologies on it. This alone probably makes them not very “nice” for a lot of people.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 23rd 2010)

Okay, so then we should keep the two entries separate but maybe put in the kind of discussion along the lines Todd just gave in #7 to make clear what’s going on.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Okay, I put in such a discussion at convenient category of topological spaces. I also added other content.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, Todd. I think this is very useful.