Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2021

Created with the following content:

Idea

Definition

A module MM over a commutative ring RR is dualizable if it is a dualizable object in the symmetric monoidal category of RR-modules equipped with the tensor product over RR.

Since this [symmetric monoidal category is a closed monoidal category, the dual object to MM is necessarily Hom R(M,R)Hom_R(M,R).

Furthermore, the abstract evaluation map

Hom R(M,R) RMRHom_R(M,R)\otimes_R M\to R

must coincide with the map induced by the bilinear map

Hom R(M,R)× RMRHom_R(M,R)\times_R M\to R

that sends (f,m)(f,m) to f(m)f(m).

Characterization

\begin{theorem} An RR-module is dualizable if and only if it is a finitely generated projective module. \end{theorem}

\begin{proof} First, dualizable objects are closed under retracts and finite direct sums. Any finitely generated projective module is a retract of R nR^n for some n0n\ge0, so to show that finitely generated projective modules are dualizable, it suffices to observe that RR is dualizable as an RR-module.

Conversely, we show that dualizable objects are finitely generated projective modules. Unfolding the definition of a dualizable object, an RR-module MM is dualizable if the coevaluation map

coev:RMHom R(M,R)coev: R \to M\otimes Hom_R(M,R)

and the evaluation map

ev:Hom R(M,R)MRev: Hom_R(M,R)\otimes M\to R

satisfy the triangle identities:

(id Mev)(coevid M)=id M,(id_M \otimes ev)\circ (coev\otimes id_M) = id_M, (evid Hom(M,R))(id Hom(M,R)coev)=id Hom(M,R).(ev \otimes id_{Hom(M,R)})\circ (id_{Hom(M,R)}\otimes coev) = id_{Hom(M,R)}.

The coevaluation map sends 1R1\in R to a finite sum

iIm if i.\sum_{i\in I} m_i\otimes f_i.

The triangle identities now read

iIm if i(p)=p,pM\sum_{i\in I} m_i f_i(p) = p,\qquad p\in M iIr(m i)f i=r,rHom R(M,R).\sum_{i\in I} r(m_i) f_i = r, \qquad r\in Hom_R(M,R).

The first identity implies that m im_i (iIi\in I) generate MM as an RR-module, i.e., MM is finitely generated.

Consider the map a:R IMa: R^I\to M that sends (r i) iI(r_i)_{i\in I} to iIm ir i\sum_{i\in I} m_i r_i. Consider also the map b:MR Ib: M\to R^I that sends pMp\in M to (f i(p)) iIR I(f_i(p))_{i\in I}\in R^I. The first triangle identity now reads ba=id Mb a = id_M. Thus, MM is a retract of R IR^I, i.e., MM is a projective module. \end{proof}

Related concepts

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2021

Added this:

Geometric interpretation

See also Serre–Swan theorem and smooth Serre–Swan theorem.

\begin{theorem} (Serre, 1955.) The category of dualizable modules over a commutative ring RR is equivalent to the category of algebraic vector bundles (defined as locally free sheaves over the structure sheaf of rings) over the Zariski spectrum of RR. \end{theorem}

\begin{theorem} (Swan, 1962.) Given a compact Hausdorff space XX, the category of dualizable modules over the real algebra of continuous maps XRX\to\mathbf{R} is equivalent to the category of finite-dimensional continuous vector bundles over XX. \end{theorem}

\begin{theorem} (See, e.g., Nestruev 2003, 11.33.) Given a smooth manifold XX, the category of dualizable modules over the real algebra of smooth maps XRX\to\mathbf{R} is equivalent to the category of finite-dimensional smooth vector bundles over XX. \end{theorem}

v1, current

1. How constructive is the equivalence between dualizable and finitely generated projective? It feels a lot like choosing a basis. In particular the step where we get a specific sum im if i\sum_i m_i\otimes f_i seems like we’re getting something for nothing.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2021

Re #3: Looks constructive to me.

Concerning the specific sum: the tensor product of M and N over A (also constructively, I presume) is the quotient of the free vector space on M⨯N by the vector space generated by the elements (m+m’,n)-(m,n)-(m’,n), (am,n)-a(m,n), and the symmetric versions.

So we get a finite sum of m_i⊗f_i because it is a representative of an equivalence class in the quotient.