Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2021

In this entry I mean to write out a full proof for the transgression formula for (discrete) group cocycles, using just basic homotopy theory and the Eilenberg-Zilber theorem.

Currently there is an Idea-section and the raw ingredients of the proof. Still need to write connecting text. But have to interrupt for the moment.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2021
    • (edited Jul 12th 2021)

have now put a bunch of background material in place to justify the sequence of natural isos (here).

Still need to justify that this is the correct transgression map on abstract grounds, and to spell out in more detail how to chase a cocycle through it.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2021

I have now completed the proof (I think) by adding an argument (here, using a new Prop. here) that the concrete composite of maps via Eilenberg-Zilber (here) is indeed equal to the abstractly defined transgression map (here).

One could go and spell out yet more detail, but it’s maybe too much detail already, and probably I’ll leave it as is, for the time being.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2022

added this pointer on generalization to /2\mathbb{Z}/2-graded cohomology (as appropriate for twists of KR-theory):

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2022

made a bunch of little cosmetic adjustments to text and formulas

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2022
    • (edited Dec 5th 2022)

I have enhanced the proof of this Prop, describing the evaluation map on nerves of inertia groupoids.

(The previous version was glossing over some degeneracies. The new version has more detailed diagrams and full detail on the relevant degeneracies.)

This is the same material that I just added as an example to function complex (as announced there).

diff, v15, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2023
    • (edited May 21st 2023)

Has anyone written about transgression for groupoid cohomology? The example I have in mind is the following: let GXG\rightrightarrows X be a groupoid (one can assume the space of arrows is finite). Let α:G (2)\alpha:G^{(2)}\to\mathbb{C} be a 2-cocycle. One can consider the simplicial set hom(Δ,G)\text{hom}(\partial\Delta,G) where Δ\Delta is the standard 2-simplex. Does α\alpha transgress to a 1-cocycle on hom(Δ,G)\text{hom}(\partial\Delta,G) via the usual pull-push involving mapping spaces?

I believe I know the answer in the case that G=Pair(X).G=\text{Pair}(X). In this case hom(Δ,G)=Pair(X×X×X),\text{hom}(\partial\Delta,G)=\text{Pair}(X\times X\times X), where we identify composable triples starting and ending at the same point with X×X×X,X\times X\times X, ie. composable pairs. We get a 1-cocycle on hom(Δ,G)\text{hom}(\partial\Delta,G) by taking t *αs *α.t^*\alpha-s^*\alpha. Of course, this cocycle is trivial, but I want to do transgression at the level of cocycles anyway.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, the interest in the abstract formulation of transgression as in Def. 2.15 in the entry is that it immediately applies to groupoid cohomogy, too, in fact to cohomology of stacks (as long as the coefficients is a discrete abelian group.

A comment to this extent is in the paragraph below (11) in arXiv:2212.13836

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorJosh

Ah I see, great. This formulation uses the inertia groupoid, is there one that uses hom(Δ,G)?\text{hom}(\partial\Delta,G)?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 21st 2023)

Just to note that Δ 2\partial \Delta^2 is, of course, one model for the circle, hence for the delooping groupoid of the integers, up to weak homotopy equivalence of simplicial sets.

So in as far as we do not worry about fixing strict groupoid models, any of these choices leads to equivalent formulas.

If your aim is to work with the specific model where transgressed cocycles are expressed in terms of the components obtained by using specifically Δ 2\partial \Delta^2 then, no, I haven’t seen that spelled out. But it’s guaranteed to work.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2023

At least in my firefox, formula (1) has bad overlapping of symbols in rendering.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2023
    • (edited May 23rd 2023)

Thanks for the alert.

I wonder if this might be due to a bug that somehow got newly introduced. Because, the source code looks correct, and I feel pretty sure that this formula was properly displaying before.

In any case, I have artifically added some more vertically whitespace now to alleviate the problem. But this is a bad hack and probably makes things worse on systems that render properly. Not sure what to do. Let’s keep an eye on this.

diff, v18, current