Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthoralexchandel
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2021
    How can one submit an edit without displaying one's IP on the history page? Is this impossible, even with a forum account?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Jul 26th 2021)

It is not possible currently. However, I am open to removing the displaying of IPs if people wish.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I guess it is (only) important that “we” (which means: you!) see/know the IPs internally, so that we can fight spammers.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Jul 26th 2021)

Yes, I agree. (And IP addresses will be useless against even moderately sophisticated spammers these days, but fortunately the nLab so far has never been targeted by anything really pernicious/persistent).

1. I have changed things so that IPs are not displayed in page histories now.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthoralexchandel

Thank you!

If you wanted to link nForum logins to the nLab wiki, then you could just display IPs of unauthenticated edits, like Wikipedia. nForum login already sets ncatlab.org-scoped cookies, so implementing this might be as simple as validating the session cookie when handling a POST ncatlab.org/nlab/save/example+name. If “username of that login cookie” = claimed username, then hide the IP.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Jul 26th 2021)

You’re welcome! I think it’s fine to not display the IPs in general; with the scale of Wikipedia it is probably necessary to display them for anonymous edits, but in our case we handle things on a case-by-case basis and have no tools to block an IP unless I manually do it, so it is just as easy to dig the IPs out from the backend server as needed.