Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2021

Page created, but author did not leave any comments.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2021
    • (edited Aug 16th 2021)

This page must mention that the conjectured map goes from the configuration space of points in 3\mathbb{R}^3 to a flag manifold. I can add it if you want, let me know when you are done editing.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2021
    • (edited Aug 17th 2021)

Have now written more of an Idea-section (here).

(Have not yet described the map itself yet, which is easy enough to do, but I need to take care of something else now.)

General proof of the conjecture is claimed in Atiyah & Malkoun 2018, but I suspect that this is part of Atiyah’s Notblüte. Does anyone know more about this?

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2021
    • (edited Aug 18th 2021)

I suspect

yes, it does look like that, doesn’t it. I notice the MathSciNet review (in case anyone does not have a description) just copies the abstract of the paper. If the proof held up, I would imagine that the paper would have been given an actual review discussing the content.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

It’s a shame if the community has nothing but superficially polite silence to handle this issue. I suggest we create a section on the page Michael Atiyah, where we explain what was going on with the late Atiyah in the last months of his life, such that we can point to there from respective entries, for explanation.

What is Notblüte in English? That term captures it well.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

What is Notblüte in English?

So this is a botanical term, and you use it figuratively about people?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

If I may. Possibly it works better in German, where “prime of his life” is “Blüte seines Lebens”. But do I need to find an English botanist?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Perhaps plainer talk is better here. As I understand it, due to senility Atiyah made a number of unfounded claims in talks and in print, not just conjectures but purported proofs. I’ve little sense of the scale of the issue. Is it that it’s quite clear which results are reliable? Are people assuming possibly unreliable ones?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Aug 18th 2021)

Minhyong Kim wrote:

…ill health was making Atiyah’s mathematics progressively difficult to comprehend

From memory, aside from the “geometric models for atoms”, which I’ve never really looked at (my doubts about that is on a physics level), the most recent really solid mathematical work by Atiyah was the two papers with Segal on twisted K-theory. Most of his more recent publications were reminiscences or historical, and then there are a few in the last 5-10 years that are seriously flaky (this one, the 6-sphere one, the RH one, the talk at the 2018 ICM spring to mind)

What is Notblüte in English?

I’m not sure of the botanical term, but “last-ditch effort” seems similar. Some searching finds “stress-induced flowering”.