Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010

There are a lot of instances on the lab of stackrel’d pairs of arrows, which look pretty silly;:

We can produce double arrows simply by typing

A\rightrightarrowsB and NZN\leftleftarrows Z

To produce larger numbers of arrows, I believe that you’re forced to use xypic.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

To produce larger numbers of arrows, I believe that you’re forced to use xypic.

Or \stackrel again (even though it doesn’t look right), since we don’t have Xy. But you’re right, using \stackrel for only two arrows is a poor choice.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

While we’re on the subject, I find that \rightrightarrows on the ’lab doesn’t put enough space around them to look good, so I sometimes write \;\rightrightarrows\; instead. I’m not sure if this is an issue only with my fonts or what.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited May 23rd 2010)

It’s an issue with the browser’s treatment of MathML, not the fonts as such. Somebody (us, the browser, or a MathML standard, I don’t know which) tells browsers to put space around ‘\rightarrow’ (even here where it’s not appropriate) but not around ‘\rightrightarrows’. (TeX handles this with a much better system, if you ask me.)

Actually, I think that I’m getting some extra space around both of these on the left only. That may be from the font.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

By the way, I’m the perpetrator of a lot of those stackrels. My knowledge of latex is quite primitive and I’m always happy to learn something new.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    • (edited May 24th 2010)

I am also guilt of plenty of \stackrels. But is there a command that would stack symbols but keep both same size and vertzically aligned neutrally? Such as \atop in LaTeX?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Try … \atop. You need to use braces to delimit it abcda {b \atop c} d. Same again in display:

abcd a {b \atop c} d

Even if there’s nothing either side, you still need the braces (it seems): bc{b \atop c}.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 24th 2010)

Ah. I guess I should have thought of that…

Let’s see…

Sh(C)LPSh(C) Sh(C) { \overset{L}{\leftarrow} \atop \hookrightarrow} PSh(C)

… ah, no, this doesn’t come out the way it should. Hm.

• CommentRowNumber9.

It looks right to me.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I see, maybe it’s just my system: I see the two arrows vertically aligned above and below the maximal and minimal vertical extension, respectively, of Sh(C)Sh(C) and PSh(C)PSh(C). Hence: too high and too low. Is it different for you?

• CommentRowNumber11.

The top arrow is slightly below the top of the P, and the bottom arrow is a little bit too low, but that’s not surprising considering that you used the hooked right arrow. Do you have the STIX fonts installed?

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

It looks mostly okay to me, although the arrows are spaced a bit further apart vertically than would be ideal. They actually look a bit better in the image display than in the MathML.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Really ought to be trying these in the Sandbox since there’s no absolute guarantee that what we see here will be the same as that in the nLab (though if there are significant differences, let me know)

Sh(C)LPSh(C) Sh(C){{L \atop \leftarrow} \atop \hookrightarrow} PSh(C) Sh(C)LPSh(C) Sh(C){\textstyle{{L \atop \leftarrow} \atop \hookrightarrow}} PSh(C)
    • CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

Right now I’m using Firefox 3.6 on Windows 7. I see it the same way as Urs. I see Andrew’s this way as well (too much space) in the first one, but the second one looks nice.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    • (edited May 26th 2010)

They appear the same using the font STIXSize5. I suppose that this is due to you guys having your math font set to STIXGeneral rather than STIXSize5. STIXGeneral is currently very buggy for me (in firefox and opera), but STIXSize5 displays everything perfectly.

The final fonts were supposed to come out yesterday, but they were delayed to the 28th.