Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2021

am finally giving this its own entry. Nothing much here yet, though, still busy fixing some legacy cross-linking…

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2021

Note about how the error arose in Atiyah–Segal, and that the norm topology is still distinct (and finer) on U(H).

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. BTW, it’s spelled [[norm topology]], with square brackets around it.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Sorry :-)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 4th 2021)

Interesting to look at the time stamps:

• In Feb 2012 Uribe et al. pick up the topic and amplify (Sec. 1) the wrong statement from Atiyah-Segal.

• In Sept 2013 Schottenloher points out the issue.

• In Nov 2013 Uribe et al.’s article gets published.

• In July 2014 Uribe at al.-prime notice the issue, apparently still unaware of Schottenloher’s preprint (?).

• In Aug 2014 Uribe et al.-prime is already published, too.

• In 2015 nothing happens.

• In 2016 nothing happens.

• In 2017 nothing happens.

• In Aug 2018 (a rewrite of) Schottenloher’s preprint is finally published.

What gives?

• CommentRowNumber6.

One wonders why Atiyah-Segal made the error. An early sign of what was to come?

I tried to really in-depth read the twisted K-theory paper as a PhD student, and it was so brief on details in certain places I made no headway for a long time, and eventually gave up. A number of reasons for this, but certainly having mistakes like the one under discussion doesn’t help!

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 19th 2021)

One wonders why Atiyah-Segal made the error.

People make mistakes all the time. Authorities do, too.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2021

added the statement that U()U(\mathcal{H}) in the strong topology is completely metrizable, with pointer to:

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 19th 2021)

added pointer to

for a proof that the weak and strong topology on U()U(\mathcal{H}) agree and make it a topological group

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added the statement that the norm topology makes U()U(\mathcal{H}) a Banach Lie group.

Schottenloher talks about this somewhat informally, while Espinoza & Uribe point to Neeb 1997. However, I don’t see that Neeb says this explicitly.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 19th 2021)

added the statement that U() strongU(\mathcal{H})_{strong} is not locally compact, with reference to section 5 in:

• Rostislav Grigorchuk, Pierre de la Harpe, Amenability and ergodic properties of topological groups: from Bogolyubov onwards, in: Groups, Graphs and Random Walks, Cambridge University Press 2017 (arXiv:1404.7030, doi:10.1017/9781316576571.011)

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 19th 2021)

Is U()\mathrm{U}(\mathcal{H}) well-pointed?

I know that

1. S 1S^1 is well-pointed;

2. PU()\mathrm{PU}(\mathcal{H}) is well-pointed;

3. there is an open neighbourhood V eV_{\mathrm{e}} of e\mathrm{e} in PU()PU(\mathcal{H}) such that

U() |V eV e×S 1\mathrm{U}(\mathcal{H})_{\vert V_{\mathrm{e}}} \simeq V_{\mathrm{e}} \times S^1

4. products of h-cofibrations remain h-cofibrations.

This seems like it might be getting close. Or maybe not.

[ edit: on the other hand, it dawns on me that I don’t actually need to know the answer to do what I want to do… ]

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2021
    • (edited Sep 20th 2021)

I have spelled out the various topologies, following the list as given by Espinoza & Uribe. Then I have further refined the list of propositions about these topologies, with references.

It seems that all these results, except maybe concerning the compact-open topology, are already due to K-H Neeb in the 1990s.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2022
    • (edited Jan 14th 2022)

Given a map f:S nU(1)f \colon S^n \longrightarrow U(1), if n2n \geq 2 it lifts to a map f^:S n 1 \hat f \colon S^n \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^1, which can be integrated against the unit volume form of S nS^n and the result

S nf(p)vol(p)mod \int_{S^n} f(p) \, vol(p) \; mod \mathbb{Z}

is a well-defined element of U(1)U(1), depending continuously on ff and independent of the choice of lift.

I am wondering if something like this works for 1U(1)\mathbb{R}^1 \to U(1) replaced by U()PU()U(\mathcal{H}) \to PU(\mathcal{H}) and n3n \geq 3?

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2022

I guess one issue is that one presumably integrates the map S nU()B()S^n \to U(\mathcal{H})\hookrightarrow B(\mathcal{H}), and then needs to know the resulting element is still inside the unitary group. Also, two such lifts to U()U(\mathcal{H}) differ by a U(1)U(1)-valued function, rather than a constant integer, though I think your first observation allows us to integrate that to a constant, and this might the difference between the integrated maps.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I was thinking about integrating, but there does not seem to be a reason why that integral should still be unitary. Already the sum of a finite number of unitary operators is generically not unitary anymore.

But I came to think that I should instead be passing to something like the Hilbert space L 2(S n,)L^2\big(S^n, \, \mathcal{H}\big) of square-integrable functions on S nS^n with values in \mathcal{H}, and then use that there is presumably an isomorphism like L 2(S n,)\mathcal{H} \;\simeq\; \mathcal{H} \otimes L^2\big( S^n,\, \mathcal{H}\big).

• CommentRowNumber17.

If we are thinking about measure, then of course we can delete one point from S nS^n to get something homeomorphic to an open disk, and then the question is whether one can find an “average” of a (bounded) family of unitary operators defined on a precompact region in n\mathbb{R}^n. For example, here’s ’a preprint considering the definition of the mean of Lie-group-valued data, including the continuous case: https://hal.inria.fr/hal-00938320

• CommentRowNumber18.

One other thing that occurs to me is that the reals are not just the 1-connected cover of U(1)U(1), but also the Lie algebra. So perhaps thinking about the Lie algebra of U()U(\mathcal{H}) or PU()PU(\mathcal{H}) (and then exponentiating, like the circle case) might be worth a shot. It’s the sort of thing that looks like it appears in that preprint in #17.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Interesting that text on averaging over Lie groups. I was wondering about that. I was also thinking about using patches onto which the exponential map is surjective, but I see no reason why the given map would be constrained to such a patch.

The idea in #16 of expanding out \mathcal{H} to L 2(S n,)\mathcal{H} \otimes L^2\big( S^n, \mathcal{H} \big) seems to do the trick for the application I have, only assuming that it works the way one would naively assume it would work.

I may have to think more carefully about Hilbert spaces of square integrable functions with values in another (separable) infinite Hilbert space. Is there some decent textbook account on this? I see it’s used in passing here and there, e.g. from slide 17 on in Pysiak: “Representations of groupoids and imprimitvity systems” (pdf)

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 16th 2022)

Oh, I see that the keywords I need are “decomposable operators on direct integral Hilbert spaces” and a relevant monograph is

• Jacques Dixmier, Chapter II of: Les algebres d’opérateurs dans l’espace hilbertien, Cahiers Scientifiques, fasc. 25, Gauthier-Villars,Paris, 1957

and, for the equivariant case that I am really after:

• Raymond C. Fabec, around IV.12 of: Fundamentals of Infinite Dimensional Representation Theory, Chapman and Hall/CRC 2019 (ISBN:9780367398408)
    • CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2023

Added the result that the Banach Lie group U() normU(\mathcal{H})_{norm} is metrizable hence paracompact, citing Nikolaus–Sachse–Wockel.

diff, v13, current