Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2021

Added:

Related concepts

References

The original result is due to Lurie:

A considerably simplified presentation is available in

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2021

I have added an “Idea”-section header and one sentence to the very top, in the spirit of starting out with a single sentence or two that expresses the whole idea, before going into more details.

With this, the line “This is a subentry of…” could now be dropped, I think. But I leave that to you.

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Probably being dim, but what is CC in

(St ϕUn ϕ):sSet/SSt[C op,sSet] (St_\phi\dashv Un_\phi) \;\colon\; sSet/S \stackrel{St}{\to} [C^{op}, sSet]
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl

I’ve added in what CC and ϕ\phi are.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Thanks. So ϕ\phi is the simplicial functor [S]C\mathfrak{C}[S] \to C?

Dare I ask further what operation \mathfrak{C} is?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • (edited Nov 4th 2021)

It’s the left part of the Quillen equivalence between the model structures on quasicategories and simplicially enriched categories. I don’t know what page mentions it off hand. (too distracted to do a search atm)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2021

Yes, we have a page for this (which would deserve improvement, as always): relation between quasi-categories and simplicial categories.

I am adding a pointer to this entry here.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2022

added more references:

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2022

The page contains a justification for the “straightening” terminology:

These names have been chosen due to the fact that objects in the left hand category are defined by existential assertions and choices where on the right side these properties become coherence laws being part of the structure.

But this is not an explanation, since it is not obvious why coherence laws should be “straighter” than existential assertions. I looked in HTT, but could not see an explanation there.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2022

I think it’s a general metaphor for converting things defined “up to homotopy” into things defined strictly.

For example, the fact that the category of simplicially enriched categories is a model for (,1)Cat(\infty,1)Cat I’ve heard described as saying “every (,1)(\infty,1)-category can be straightened into a simplicially enriched category”. Analogously to how every 2-category is equivalent to a strict 2-category.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2022

The older term was ’rectification’ I believe and was used in categorical circles for years.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2023

Added

diff, v12, current