Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010
    • (edited Jun 2nd 2010)

I got a message from somebody who said he tried to but couldn’t edit an nLab entry with Firefox due to a plugin not working.

He writes:

I’m using Firefox, so the math formulas are ok. For editing, I just followed the instructions on the front page: it suggests to download a plugin – It’s All Text!, which I did; then I was supposed to pick an editor (I chose WinEdt), after which, according to the instructions, I was supposed to just highlight an area of text I wanted to edit, right-click and choose “it’s alltext”. I did that, but the option wasn’t there.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I never used this plugin.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorFinnLawler
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010

I was supposed to just highlight an area of text I wanted to edit, right-click and choose “it’s alltext”.

I’ve used this plugin for ages, and it works great, but not like this. It lets you load the text in a HTML textarea (like the one I’m typing in now) into an external editor like Emacs, and updates the text when you save the file. So your friend still has to click the Edit link at the bottom of the nLab page he wants to edit. Then he can use the plugin or just the edit box in the browser to edit the page.

I never used this plugin.

I couldn’t live without it myself. If you’re used to writing LaTeX in Emacs it’s a godsend.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010

Ditto what Finn said. Where do the instructions say to highlight an area of text?

1. Hi everyone! I was the "somebody". Thanks for the tips, I didn't notice the Edit button before :) Still don't know how to use the plugin though, the instructions that say to highlight the text are in the plugin's readme file. But that's okay, I can do without it, apparently.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010

One thing that is worth pointing out is that you don’t have to use this plugin for editing nLab pages. You can just use your browser as usual. It’s just that some of us find the extended abilities of using, say, Emacs to edit nLab pages so useful that we use this plugin to enable us to do that. I don’t use it when just doing a small correction, or when creating a short page, for example.

2. got it, thanks!