Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010

I’ve added a result to the list at sequentially compact space which is an analogue of the more well-known one about compact Hausdorff spaces. This also relates to this MO question.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I reorganized the sections. Have a look to see if you agree.

• CommentRowNumber3.

Looks fine, thanks.

I wasn’t sure where to put my little result. After all, I want it when I talk about Froelicher spaces and mapping spaces, but it’s a result on topological spaces so should go somewhere there and be referred to by the other stuff - that’s part of the point of being a wiki and having lots of hyperlinks! But I’m not convinced that it belongs on the sequentially compact page since it isn’t a property just of sequentially compact spaces and isn’t something that someone wanting to know the basics of sequentially compact spaces would really care about. Or at least, if it was interesting, the proof wouldn’t be.

I guess the point is that sequentially compact space feels more like one of those reference pages in the nLab whilst my little result is something I would scribble in the margin whilst reading about them. I’m tempted to move it to its own page leaving just the statement on the sequentially compact page.

This would also fit in with something that Todd, I think it was, said about layering the entries in the nLab so that one can select the depth at which one wants to read the material.

Just some idle thoughts!

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

This would also fit in with something that Todd, I think it was, said about layering the entries in the nLab so that one can select the depth at which one wants to read the material.

Sure, sounds good. I would add that a first generic step of layering content is to include tables of contents.

(A subsection is, after all, something in between a page and a hyperlink.)

• CommentRowNumber5.

Point taken!

(For some reason, I seem to have forgotten the syntax for tables of contents; but you corrected my first failed attempt before I got round to looking it up and then I decided that a table of contents at G-delta was overkill.)