Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. I’d like to tentatively suggest replacing the current statement of Nakayama’s lemma on the relevant page with the following (non-local) version:

Nakayama’s lemma (proposed version): Let RR be a commutative ring and MM be a finitely generated RR-module. Then:

1. supp(M)=𝒱(Ann(M))\text{supp}(M) = \mathcal{V}(Ann(M)).

2. If moreover IRI\subseteq R is an ideal with supp(M)V(I)supp(M)\cap V(I) inhabited, then M RR/IM\otimes_{R} R/I is nonzero.

(Recall that supp(M)={𝔭Spec(R) s.t. M RR 𝔭 is nonzero}supp(M) = \{\mathfrak{p}\in Spec(R)\ \text{ s.t. }\ M\otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}\ \text{ is nonzero}\}, Ann(M)={fR s.t. fM=0}Ann(M) = \{f \in R\ \text{ s.t. }\ f M = 0\}, and 𝒱(I)={𝔭Spec(R) s.t. 𝔭I}\mathcal{V}(I) = \{\mathfrak{p} \in Spec(R)\ \text{ s.t. }\ \mathfrak{p} \supseteq I\}. The first claim is not usually considered part of Nakayama’s lemma but will be useful here and can be proved with a closely related argument to that which we will use for the main result.)

The proof uses relatively little pre-existing commutative algebraic theory (i.e., just some basic facts about 𝒱\mathcal{V}, nonzeroness in short exact sequences, localization, tensoring, and localizing/tensoring cyclic modules) as follows:

Proof of Nakayama’s lemma: The argument proceeds in the following four steps:

1. As MM is finitely generated, it admits a filtration with cyclic cokernels. To be explicit, if the nn-tuple of elements (m kM) k=0,,n1(m_{k}\in M)_{k=0,\dots,n-1} generates MM, then it begets an nn-tuple of short exact sequences

(0M kM k+1R/I k0) k=0,,n1,\left(\ 0 \to M_{k} \to M_{k+1} \to R/I_{k} \to 0\ \right)_{k=0,\dots,n-1},

where M kM_{k} is the submodule of MM spanned by (m kM) k=0,,k1(m_{k}\in M)_{k=0,\dots,k-1} and in particular M 0=0M_{0}=0 and M n=MM_{n}=M. (Here the maps M kM k+1M_{k} \to M_{k+1} are the evident inclusions; as the cokernel is generated by the image of m km_{k}, it is in particular isomorphic to R/I kR/I_{k} for some ideal I kRI_{k}\subseteq R.) The basic idea is that the process of extension by which MM is built up from these R/I kR/I_{k}s interacts sufficiently nicely with the operations of localization/taking fibers that the properties of the latter determine those of the former.

2. For instance, it is clear that any fAnn(M)f \in Ann(M) must descend to 00 on all the R/I kR/I_{k}s; on the other hand, for all k=0,,n1k=0,\dots,n-1 we have that I kM k+1M kI_{k}M_{k+1} \subseteq M_{k}. We conclude that k=0 n1I kAnn(M) k=0 n1I k\prod_{k=0}^{n-1} I_{k} \subseteq Ann(M) \subseteq \bigcap_{k=0}^{n-1} I_{k}, whence 𝒱(Ann(M))= k=0 n1𝒱(I k)\mathcal{V}(Ann(M)) = \bigcup_{k=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{V}(I_{k}).

3. Let us now show that supp(M)= k=0 n1𝒱(I k)supp(M) = \bigcup_{k=0}^{n-1} \mathcal{V}(I_{k}); this will complete the proof of our first claim. Recall that for any 𝔭Spec(R)\mathfrak{p}\in Spec(R) the functor RR 𝔭-\otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} is exact; we therefore in any case obtain an nn-tuple of short exact sequences

(0M k RR 𝔭M k+1 RR 𝔭R/I k RR 𝔭0) k=0,,n1.\left(\ 0 \to M_{k} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to M_{k+1} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to R/I_{k} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to 0\ \right)_{k=0,\dots,n-1}.

If 𝔭 k=0,,n1𝒱(I k)\mathfrak{p} \notin \bigcup_{k=0,\dots,n-1} \mathcal{V}(I_{k}), then each R/I k RR 𝔭R/I_{k} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} vanishes, so the above SESs collapse to isomorphisms

(0M k RR 𝔭M k+1 RR 𝔭0) k=0,,n1\left(\ 0 \to M_{k} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to M_{k+1} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to 0\ \right)_{k=0,\dots,n-1}

and thus

M RR 𝔭M n RR 𝔭M 0 RR 𝔭0.M \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \simeq M_{n} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \simeq M_{0} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \simeq 0.

Conversely, if 𝔭 k=0,,n1𝒱(I k)\mathfrak{p} \notin \bigcup_{k=0,\dots,n-1} \mathcal{V}(I_{k}), then there is a maximal index k maxk_{max} such that 𝔭I k max\mathfrak{p} \supseteq I_{k_{max}} and in particular an epimorphism

M k max+1 RR 𝔭R/I k max RR 𝔭0,M_{k_{max}+1} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to R/I_{k_{max}} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to 0,

with R/I k max RR 𝔭R/I_{k_{max}} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} nonzero. But there are also, as before, isomorphisms

(0M k RR 𝔭M k+1 RR 𝔭0) k=k max+1,,n1\left(\ 0 \to M_{k} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to M_{k+1} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to 0\ \right)_{k=k_{max}+1,\dots,n-1}

whence

M RR 𝔭M n RR 𝔭M k max+1 RR 𝔭M \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \simeq M_{n} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \simeq M_{k_{max}+1} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}

is epic onto a nonzero module and thus itself nonzero.

4. The proof of the second claim is in the same vein, requiring just a little bit more delicacy. Suppose that 𝔭\mathfrak{p} inhabits supp(M)V(I)\text{supp}(M)\cap V(I); by the above this means that 𝔭I\mathfrak{p}\supseteq I and that there exists some index kk for which 𝔭I k\mathfrak{p}\supseteq I_{k}. Again consider the maximal index k maxk_{max} for which 𝔭I k max\mathfrak{p} \supseteq I_{k_{max}}. As before, there is an epimorphism

M k max+1 RR 𝔭R/I k max RR 𝔭0M_{k_{max}+1} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to R/I_{k_{max}} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to 0

and isomorphisms

(0M k RR 𝔭M k+1 RR 𝔭0) k=k max+1,,n1\left(\ 0 \to M_{k} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to M_{k+1} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} \to 0\ \right)_{k=k_{max}+1,\dots,n-1}

By the right-exactness of the functor RR/𝔭-\otimes_{R} R/\mathfrak{p}, we obtain from the former an epimorphism

M k max+1 RR 𝔭/𝔭R/I k max RR 𝔭/𝔭0M_{k_{max}+1} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}} /\mathfrak{p} \to R/I_{k_{max}} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p} \to 0

(implicitly using that ( RR 𝔭) RR/𝔭 RR 𝔭/𝔭(- \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}})\otimes_{R} R/\mathfrak{p}\ \simeq\ - \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p}). By its functoriality, there are likewise isomorphisms

(0M k RR 𝔭/𝔭M k+1 RR 𝔭/𝔭0) k=k max+1,,n1\left(\ 0 \to M_{k} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p} \to M_{k+1} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p} \to 0\ \right)_{k=k_{max}+1,\dots,n-1}

Now,

R/I k max RR 𝔭/𝔭R 𝔭/𝔭R/I_{k_{max}} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p} \simeq R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p}

is nonzero (here we use that 𝔭I k max\mathfrak{p} \supseteq I_{k_{max}}). It follows that

M RR 𝔭/𝔭M n RR 𝔭/𝔭M k max+1 RR 𝔭/𝔭M \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p} \simeq M_{n} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p} \simeq M_{k_{max}+1} \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p}

is epic onto a nonzero module and thus itself nonzero. But

M RR 𝔭/𝔭(M RR/I) RR 𝔭/𝔭M \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p} \simeq (M \otimes_{R} R/I) \otimes_{R} R_{\mathfrak{p}}/\mathfrak{p}

(here we use that 𝔭I\mathfrak{p} \supseteq I), so the latter must itself be nonzero, as claimed. \blacksquare

It is now straightforward to recover more familiar forms of Nakayama’s lemma as a corollary of the above. For instance, the nLab’s current version states:

Nakayama’s lemma (nLab’s version): Let RR be a local ring with maximal ideal 𝔪R\mathfrak{m}\subseteq R and MM be a finitely generated RR-module. Then if MM is nonzero, so too is M RR/𝔪M \otimes_R R/\mathfrak{m}.

Indeed, 𝔪\mathfrak{m} is practically tautologically in (and so 𝒱(𝔪)\mathcal{V}(\mathfrak{m}) practically tautologically intersects) the support of any nonzero RR-module; the conditions of our version of the lemma apply, and we conclude that M RR/𝔪M \otimes_R R/\mathfrak{m} is nonzero as advertised. \blacksquare

Sometimes (for instance in the Stacks Project), Nakayama’s lemma is stated instead as follows:

Nakayama’s lemma (Stacks Project’s version): Let RR be a commutative ring, MM be a finitely generated RR-module, and IRI\subseteq R be an ideal with IM=MI M = M. Then there exists fRf\in R such that f=1(modI)f = 1\ (mod\ I) and fM=0f M=0.

Of course, IM=MM RR/I0I M = M\ \iff\ M \otimes_{R} R/I \simeq 0; it follows from our version of the lemma that II is comaximal with Ann(M)Ann(M). The Chinese Remainder theorem then asserts the existence of fRf\in R such that f=1(modI)f = 1\ (mod\ I) and f=0(modAnn(M))f = 0\ (mod\ Ann(M)); the desired ff. \blacksquare

(I could not find a discussion page linked to the Nakayama’s Lemma entry; I’m not sure if this is the proper way to discuss pages without linked nForum threads. Please advise if not!)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2023

Thanks for this, this looks like great material. I think you should feel invited to add this to the entry.

(The dedicated discussion page for the entry will appear once you make the first edit there, together with a log-message. The page has probably been created so long ago (and left essentially untouched since) that it was before this announcement mechanism was in place.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorJ-B Vienney
    • (edited Dec 6th 2023)

I would be glad that you add this to the entry, because it looks very helpful to me, especially the clear and detailled proof.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorIngoBlechschmidt
    • (edited Dec 6th 2023)

I agree, very nice, and I wonder what a constructive version of statement 2 looks like. If I should venture a guess, it would be:

If M RR/IM \otimes_R R/I is zero, then the geometric theory of a prime filter 𝔭\mathfrak{p} with x𝔭x \in \mathfrak{p} \vdash \bot for xIx \in I proves, for every xMx \in M, that sA sx=0s𝔭\top \vdash \bigvee_{\substack{s \in A\\sx=0}} s \in \mathfrak{p}.

I arrived at this formulation as follows. First let’s take the original formulation:

(1) If supp(M)V(I)\mathrm{supp}(M) \cap V(I) is inhabited, then M RR/IM \otimes_R R/I is nonzero.

This looks like the contrapositive of a more direct statement:

(2) If M RR/IM \otimes_R R/I is zero, then supp(M)V(I)=\mathrm{supp}(M) \cap V(I) = \emptyset.

The set V(I)V(I) is the set of models of a geometric theory, and also Spec(A)supp(M)\mathrm{Spec}(A) \setminus \mathrm{supp}(M) is; but supp(M)\mathrm{supp}(M) is not. So let’s rewrite as follows:

(3) If M RR/IM \otimes_R R/I is zero, then V(I)Spec(A)supp(M)V(I) \subseteq \mathrm{Spec}(A) \setminus \mathrm{supp}(M).

The inclusion states that all models of the first geometric theory are also models of the second. So let’s do the leap to the theories themselves instead of their models (equivalently, referring to models in all toposes, not just the standard topos). In this way we arrive at the proposed constructivization.

To check that the proposed constructivization is indeed constructively provable, we can either appeal to Barr’s theorem or use the direct description of provability modulo the theory of prime filters. I’m guessing that I’m talking mostly to myself right now, thank you for the nice nudge, but if anyone wants details I’m happy to fill them in. :-)

2. Thanks for the feedback everybody! I'm a little behind on some work for the next few days, but will try to add the suggested edits by the weekend.

Re @above, I admittedly don't entirely follow, but it seems interesting! :)
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2023
    • (edited Dec 7th 2023)

In modern algebra, Nakayama’s lemma is often presented in generality of noncommutative rings. See for example http://alpha.math.uga.edu/~pete/noncommutativealgebra.pdf.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2023

I have now merged the contribution from #1 into the entry Nakayama’s lemma (as announced there).