Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010

I’ve moved the nForum ever so slightly sideways. Our web address has changed to:

http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/nForum

The old one will still work - I hope - but all internal links will now point there (those that haven’t been put there by hand), so it ought to “just work” in that if you click on an old link, you get to the page you wanted (but with the wrong URL, and possibly not logged on), but when you click further then you will get to the right page.

I’ll update the links on the nLab when I’m sure that the shift is stable (I can unshift us if necessary).

The reason for the shift is that I want to run a similar forum for the course that I’m teaching, plus there’s the slightly defunct rForum, and John’s new project wants a forum, so I’m consolidating a little. The idea is that they all use the same actual code (rather than copies of the same code) so it’s easier for me to keep them up to date, and they all use the same user database, so that if someone wants to participate in more than one forum here then they don’t have to keep logging in to the different ones (something I was never too happy with as every now and again the cookies got confused).

No doubt I’ve broken something in doing this shift. Please do let me know of any changes in behaviour, particularly with respect to logging in and logging out of the nForum.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire

Thanks for also making the tabs at the top better. Though I can’t tell what the difference between “Home” and “Discussions” is or what “Notices” is for.

• CommentRowNumber3.

“Home” is customisable, “Discussions” is not. If you go to your user account page (the “Account” tab) then you’ll see that you can set the “Home” tab to be whatever you like. If you find that you tend to follow discussions in one category only, then you could set “Home” to that category’s main page.

“Notices” is for notices. It’s a bit like a blog: comments can be stuck up there to bring them to the attention of a wider crowd. At the moment, the “crowd” here isn’t so big so it tends not to get used.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010

Zoran reported earlier

By the way, nForum is today having lots of problems on my computer, it asks for human recognition, it bails out my automatically remembered password many times out and resets the settings for markdown when writing etc. often

and I wish to report similar problems throughout the day, where I have to keep logging in and solving the stupid recaptcha puzzles, and then have to reset the formatting filter.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • (edited Sep 3rd 2010)

A redirect (if possible) from the old address would be nice until things are sorted out. Not sure what the problem was, but I had some problem reaching here this morning.

More info:

I usually land at this address

http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Vanilla/nForum/?CategoryID=0

This morning, it asked me to sign in. I did and it didn’t seem to want to accept my password and asked me to sign in again. I did and I ended up at

http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/

Then I remembered the sideways move and had to manually add the “nForum” to the URL to reach the nForum.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 3rd 2010)

by the way, how can I get back the original formatting/layout of the nForum pages?

I remember last time I tried this I was also baffled by the fact that clicking on the “settings”-tab produces a page that accepts no settings at all. Back then I later realized that the true settings-page is linked somewhere in the side bar. But even that I cannot find now.

Andrew, when you have a minute, I think it would be good if you could change that: behind a tab that is called “settings” one expects a page that allows one to change settings. Or at least some information on where to find such a page.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Hopefully the logging in problems are now solved. It’s possible that you might end up at ’http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge’ by accident, but there’s now a list on the left-hand side of the forums and you can click on ’nForum’ to get back.

Urs, maybe you can suggest some better names. The tabs causing the confusion are:

• Settings: this is for settings for the site. You can see this because you’re allowed to change categories around. Not many people can see this.
    • Account: this is for settings for individual users. Everyone can see this, and this is where you go to change stylesheets and so forth.

(On which, I apologise that I had to reset everyone’s stylesheet. There’s some glitch in the system whereby if I don’t do that then no stylesheet is used. Actually, looking at the database, only Urs and Toby weren’t using the default one. So I hereby apologise to Urs and Toby.)

Eric, sadly a redirect from the old to the new is beyond my technical abilities due to the fact that it would be very easy to end up in a loop with such a redirect. If I can work out how to do it, I will, but in the meantime the “sign in” process should now take you to the right place and clicking on any link on the page should take you to the right place as well, so once you “click through”, you should be safely in the Mathforge area. Please let me know if you find a link that doesn’t do this.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Preview bug (which Eric mentioned elsewhere) now fixed.

Okay, I hope that’s sorted out a fair number of the difficulties. The only one I haven’t a clue about is the “resetting the text filter” that Todd and Zoran mention. Could either of them provide a little more information?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Andrew,

thanks. I knew I was being dumb. The dumbest user is always the nightmare of the system administrator.

Now I am too dumb to change my profile. I either get the default one or the ASCII-one. In fact, now it seems I managed to get everything mixed up and get the default view at top level and plain ASCII when I reply to messages.

Anyway, sorry for bothering you with this, i’ll find my way around eventually.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Nope, my fault again!

Assuming that by “profile” you mean that when you go to “Change stylesheet” then it keeps going wrong, then I’ve fixed it now.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Thanks Andrew :)

Redirect is not necessary. The list is more than sufficient.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Assuming that by “profile” you mean that when you go to “Change stylesheet” then it keeps going wrong, then I’ve fixed it now.

Yes, that’s what I mean.

Sorry, it’s not so difficult as I make it seem, but I am not concentrating on it as much as I could :-)

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

@Andrew #8: what I meant was that ordinarily I have the filter set to Markdown+Itex, whereas each time yesterday it kept going back to Text, presumably by default after I sign in.

• CommentRowNumber14.

Urs, that’s okay! I appreciate being told when things aren’t working correctly and I know it’s annoying to have things suddenly not working right.

Todd, is it still doing that? Your default text formatter appears to be set correctly to ’MarkdownItex’. The only thing that I can think of is that it was some problem with logging in, but it should only have happened before you logged in, not afterwards. If it happens again, can you say whether or not you were logged in before or after, and whether you were at a page with ’Vanilla’ in the URL or ’Mathforge’? Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Re stylesheets:

You fixed the default stylesheet up so nicely some time ago that it works just fine for me. Indeed, I thought that I’d switched to it already, and I notice no difference so far.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010

“Home” is customisable, “Discussions” is not. If you go to your user account page (the “Account” tab) then you’ll see that you can set the “Home” tab to be whatever you like.

Maybe “Home” should be respelled as “My Home” to indicate that it is user dependent. Then you could make a real “Home” page for the random person that stumbles across nForum that says that it is for discussions of nLab content, and explains the benefits of establishing an an account - such as “My Home” defaulting to the all discussions but being customizable (I don’t see why this is useful in the nForum context but in other forum implementations this may be useful).

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010

The redirect from Vanilla to Mathforge is now in place.

(The problem was that there’s already a redirect in place so putting one in via the Apache webserver created an infinite loop and I couldn’t find a way to break it. The solution was to put the Vanilla->Mathforge redirect in the php code, thus outside the apache redirect.)

This means that all links should Just Work TM{}^{TM}. Of course, there’ll be something that I’ve overlooked as there always is … please let me know.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010

I changed all links on the nLab from Vanilla to Mathforge … and now you tell me that the redirect is in place!

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010

The ’nLab’ link at the top of the page doesn’t link anywhere. Current URL: http://ncatlab.org/show/nlab

• CommentRowNumber20.

@ David #19

It does for me, but maybe Andrew just fixed this. (It goes directly to http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/HomePage.)

• CommentRowNumber21.

(Did fix it)

Thanks for changing the links, Toby. Best that they point to the right location. (I did say that I’d do it, so you didn’t have to, but I appreciate you doing it)