Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorPaoloPerrone
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2024
    • (edited Mar 30th 2024)

Hey all. For all those who, like me, much prefer dark themes, I’ve made an accessible dark theme for the nLab. It can be downloaded here.

I’ve kept the hue of the original green, to make it somewhat ‘dual’ to the usual look, while trying to keep the contrast high. Let me know if I’ve missed anything important, any feedback is welcome.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2024

I think it looks great! We should put a link to this somewhere on the nLab, but I’m not sure where.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2024
    • (edited Mar 31st 2024)

The theme now comes with a paired nForum dark theme. They can be separately activated and deactivated. Any feedback is welcome, once again.

(For logged-in users, this forum has its internal way to tweak the theme too.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Maybe you could add the installation instructions?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Mar 31st 2024)

For Firefox, the easiest way is to add the Stylus extension, and then install the theme from its page.

This should also work in Chrome, but I haven’t tested it.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Could you add a word on this to the webpage userstyles.world/style/15519/nlab-dark? Then we could usefully link to it.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Ok, I’ve added them.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

So I clicked the “Install”-button in the page you linked to. First it only showed source code. Now after installing Stylus, it also shows some kind of menu on the left. I am not sure what I have to do there. After restarting my Firefox, the nForum shows in dark mode, while the nLab is displayed as usual. Do I have to edit the “custom included sites”-field?

(Incidentally, previewing this message in dark mode, there is a glitch: Where the previewed message should show, it instead says in huge font “Preview Preview Preview…”)

• CommentRowNumber9.

I see. Thanks for reporting the glitch, should be corrected now.

If you go to an nLab page, there should be the Stylus icon in the Firefox bar (maybe under the “puzzle piece” addon symbol). Clicking there, one should be able to tick “nLab Dark”.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The dark theme for the nForum shows for each thread a yellowish box with the entry title in faint blue on it, which is hard to discern. Maybe the yellowish boxes should all be dark, too?

• CommentRowNumber11.

They are all dark to me (in different darkness depending on whether they are read or unread).

Are you using a particular Vanilla stylesheet different from the nForum one? I might have overlooked those.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 31st 2024)

Thanks for the hint. So I clicked on the puzzle pize icon, then on “Stylus”. A menu appears, I click on “Find styles”. This shows four styles which I seem to have installed in previous years, such as Crawford’s “simple dark theme”. But I don’t see your style in the list.

Maybe this has to do with the following: When from your webpage “userstyles.world/style/15519/nlab-dark” I click the “Install” button (now reading “Reinstall” for me) the page that opens is titled, in its left column, “nForum dark”. The last line says “Applies to https://nforum.ncatlab.org/”. So maybe this page is only installing the nForum theme, not the nLab theme?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Now I see your message #11. Hm, right, if I check the puzzle piece here on the nforum and walk through the menus, eventually it does not show your style either. So maybe i am actually viewing the nForum with Crawford’s simple dark theme now instead of your theme. I don’t know what’s going on, apparently I am unable to install your theme.

In any case, I have to quit this investigation for the time being to participate in some Easter activity.

• CommentRowNumber14.

I see. Apparently linking does not work as expected. So let’s keep them separated.

And now I’m off to Easter activities as well. Happy Easter!

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 31st 2024)

Thanks, now it works for me.

To sum up, here is the installation instructions for Firefox on Windows:

1. Download the Stylus add-on for Firefox at addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/styl-us

2. go to userstyles.world/style/15519/nlab-dark, scroll down to find and click on the button “Install”

3. in the top left of the page that appears, click on “Install style”

4. after this a couple of new buttons appear, click on “Manage”

5. in the list that appears, check “nLab dark”.