Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthortrent
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2024

I added this to the entry for Nima Arkani-Hamed.

Urs (or anyone else) do you know anything about Nima’s recent interest in category theory?

On Category Theory

“six months ago, if you said the word category theory to me, I would have laughed in your face and said useless formal nonsense, and yet it’s somehow turned into something very important in my intellectual life in the last six months or so” (@ 44:05 in The End of Space-Time July 2022)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I don’t know anything concretely about what is being alluded to here, but from the preceding discussion one expects that one can rephrase these diagrams as string diagrams in a suitable monoidal category.

(A report here by somebody who attended related talks doesn’t know more details either.)

Not sure what more to say. Just noting that 20+ years ago, when the topological string was still en vogue, string theorists were all into derived categories (e.g arXiv:hep-th/0403166) and their Bridgeland stability conditions for modelling D-branes and mirror symmetry. This wasn’t considered “useless” then.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthortrent

In this October 2023 talk, he says (around 27:30) that categories of quiver representations are what he has been working on for a counting problem in kinematic space:

https://youtu.be/iuQpEj_KER0

Title: All-Loop Scattering as A Counting Problem

Abstract: I will describe a new understanding of scattering amplitudes based on fundamentally combinatorial ideas in the kinematic space of the scattering data. I first discuss a toy model, the simplest theory of colored scalar particles with cubic interactions, at all loop orders and to all orders in the topological ‘t Hooft expansion. I will present a novel formula for loop-integrated amplitudes, with no trace of the conventional sum over Feynman diagrams, but instead determined by a beautifully simple counting problem attached to any order of the topological expansion. A surprisingly simple shift of kinematic variables converts this apparent toy model into the realistic physics of pions and Yang-Mills theory. These results represent a significant step forward in the decade-long quest to formulate the fundamental physics of the real world in a new language, where the rules of spacetime and quantum mechanics, as reflected in the principles of locality and unitarity, are seen to emerge from deeper mathematical structures.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, I see.

There is a fairly detailed discussion of the relevant quivers in arXiv:2201.09176 (but no real discussion of their representations)