Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2024

Created. Feedback is welcome!

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Looks good.

What can one now do with this suitable category for measure theory? Does it provide interesting universal constructions?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorSam Staton

Hi Dmitri, Is it ok if we rename to “enhanced measurable spaces” or “passage to enhanced measurable spaces” or something like that? I am concerned that a newcomer finds this and thinks that they should not use the category of measurable spaces because it has “defects”.

I do understand your points.

But for what I have been doing, it has not always been appropriate to use enhanced measurable spaces. I don’t want to start a fight by writing a page arguing that CSLEMS has defects! but measurable spaces have been more appropriate for some things that I needed to do, and I couldn’t use CSLEMS. In other situations, I have used CSLEMS or variants. I can say more if it helps. Probably other people also have the same issue: it depends what you what to do with it.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited May 3rd 2024)

I can say more if it helps.

I think it would certainly help to say more here, this is what I meant by feedback. I would be quite interested in seeing more cases that challenge the applicability of CSLEMS.

Edit: I removed the word “defect” altogether and added paragraphs explaining that enhanced measurable spaces are motivated by esthetic considerations and can be easily replaced by measure spaces. I also made it more clear that the article aims to track the existing practices of (conventional) real analysis, probability theory, and statistics, where invariance under equality almost everywhere is required from the beginning.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Re #2: Yes, lots. It is complete and cocomplete, and has a closed monoidal structure. Measurable locales are coreflective in locales.

It will take a while to describe all this structure, though.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Added a disclaimer:

This article concentrates on measure theory as it is used in real analysis, probability theory, statistics, stochastic processes and other areas of analysis. The word “defect” used below is understood as a property that does not match the established practice of these subjects, e.g., identifying functions that are equal almost everywhere. Other areas, such as descriptive set theory may need other criteria and other categories.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber7.

Added a remark to clarify that the article is not really about enhanced measurable spaces:

\begin{remark} Everything in this article could be done with conventional measure spaces (X,M,μ)(X,M,\mu) instead of enhanced measurable spaces. Enhanced measurable spaces are only introduced to enhance the clarity of exposition and avoid making noncanonical choices of measures in some constructions. Also, separating measures from their underlying spaces makes it slightly easier to formulate some theorems, e.g., the Radon–Nikodym theorem. \end{remark}

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber8.

Eliminated the word “defect” from the article. Rewrote the disclaimer:

This article concentrates on measure theory as it is used in real analysis, probability theory, statistics, stochastic processes and other areas of analysis. In particular, given the existing practice in these fields, we take it for granted that we must identify functions that are equal almost everywhere. Other areas, such as descriptive set theory may need other criteria and other categories.

We also remark that the use of enhanced measurable spaces instead of measure spaces is for strictly esthetic reasons (like avoiding making noncanonical choices of measures), and everything works equally well with traditional measure spaces instead.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber9.

Added:

Categorical properties

The category CSLEMSCSLEMS has excellent categorical properties: it is complete and cocomplete, admits a closed monoidal structure whose product is the measure-theoretic product, is comonadic over sets and over compact Hausdorff spaces. It also admits a commutative Giry-type probability monad (Furber).

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorSam Staton
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2024

Thanks so much, Dmitri, this looks really nice, it’s a nice survey.

Indeed one area where it might be different is descriptive set theory, I agree. Another, which I’ve been interested in, is in finding nice internal languages, which amount to probabilistic programming languages. There is a very nice language for measurable spaces and the Giry monad, and variations. I’d love to find an internal language for CSLEMS, I think we’ve discussed this before, but I still don’t know how to sort this out, because of wanting to use both tensors. Another possibly related point is that the Markov categories approach does not directly axiomatize CSLEMS, although we can construct things like CSLEMS from a Markov category.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2024

Re #10: Robert Furber’s work constructs a commutative Giry monad on CSLEMS and explains how to get Markov categories from it (see the last two references in the article).

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2024

Fixed an incorrectly stated motivation for weak equality almost everywhere.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2024

Great, it's nice to have all of the reasons for this category so well summarized!