Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorSamuel Adrian Antz
    • CommentTime3 days ago
    • (edited 3 days ago)

Created basic outline with some important connections. Yang-Mills measure, after all the main concept which makes this special case interesting, and references will be added later.

Edit: Crosslinked D=2 Yang-Mills theory on related pages: D=2 QCD, D=4 Yang-Mills theory, D=5 Yang-Mills theory.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTime3 days ago
    • (edited 3 days ago)

where you had a link to quantization I made it point to charge quantization instead

where it said “Chern-Weil theory implies” I expanded to “Chern-Weil theory implies that the first Chern class of the gauge bundle is:”

the section “Application to the 2-sphere” is lacking, I find, a sentence connecting back to the previous section. To this end, I have given your first display math environment the label “FirstChernClassByIntegration”, so that you can refer to this by typing “(eq:FirstChernClassByIntegration)

apart from this I made some cosmetic edits here and there

beware that our Instiki parser demands more whitespace than ordinary LaTeX:

it renders “d_AA” like “d_\mathrm{AA}” — one needs to type “d_A A” to get the intended result (which may be a nuisance, but the latter form is also easier to parse by humans)

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorSamuel Adrian Antz
    • CommentTime3 days ago
    • (edited 3 days ago)

Thanks for the additions! I’ve also noticed “d_AA”, but then you already started editing the page. The section of the sphere will definitely get some expansion and connection (pun not intended). But what was wrong about putting D=4 Yang-Mills theory and D=5 Yang-Mills theory into related concepts?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTime3 days ago
    • (edited 3 days ago)

I didn’t remove anything from “Related concepts”. Maybe our edits confliced, and I accidentally overwrote an edit of yours, sorry. Please put it back in, if you can.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTime3 days ago

Added:

References

The original reference:

• A. Migdal, Recursion equations in gauge field theories, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 69 (1975), 810–822 (Sov. Phys. JETP 42, 413–418). PDF.

Further developments:

• Ninoslav E. Bralić, Exact computation of loop averages in two-dimensional Yang-Mills theory, Phys. Rev. D 22:12 (1980), 3090–3103. doi:10.1103/PhysRevD.22.3090.

• V. A. Kazakov, I. K. Kostov, Non-linear strings in two-dimensional U(∞) gauge theory, Nuclear Physics B 176:1 (1980), 199–215. doi

• Leonard Gross, Christopher King, Ambar Sengupta, Two dimensional Yang-Mills theory via stochastic differential equations, Annals of Physics 194:1 (1989), 65–112. doi

• B. Ye. Rusakov, LOOP AVERAGES AND PARTITION FUNCTIONS IN U(N) GAUGE THEORY ON TWO-DIMENSIONAL MANIFOLDS, Modern Physics Letters A 5:9 (1990), 693–703. doi.

• Dana S. Fine, Quantum Yang-Mills on the two-sphere, Communications in Mathematical Physics 134 (1990), 273–292. doi.

• Dana S. Fine, Quantum Yang-Mills on a Riemann surface, Communications in Mathematical Physics 140 (1991), 321–338. doi.

• Ambar Sengupta, The Yang-Mills measure for S 2S^2, Journal of Functional Analysis 108:2 (1992), 231–273. doi

• Ambar Sengupta, Quantum Gauge Theory on Compact Surfaces, Annals of Physics 221:1 (1993), 17–52. doi

• Matthias Blau, George Thompson, QUANTUM YANG-MILLS THEORY ON ARBITRARY SURFACES, International Journal of Modern Physics A 7:16 (1992), 3781–3806. doi.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTime3 days ago

One more:

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorperezl.alonso
    • CommentTime1 day ago

more pointers

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Notice the separate entry D=2 QCD.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTime1 day ago
    • (edited 1 day ago)

Fixed the DOI-links introduced in #5: When you use the syntax

[doi][1] [1]: http:...

you need of course to replace “1” by a distinct number every time the command appears, or else they will all produce the same hyperlink (see the Sandbox)

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTime1 day ago
    • (edited 1 day ago)

Have tried to brush-up the list of references (please don’t use all capitals) and to harmonize it with those at D=2 QCD

diff, v9, current