Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2024

have added more references to classical monographs

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2024
    • (edited Sep 10th 2024)

Here is a question:

Given a Lie algebra 𝔤(T i) i=1 n\mathfrak{g} \simeq \big\langle (T_i)_{i=1}^n \big\rangle with bracket [T j,T k]=f jk iT i[T_j, T_k] = f^i_{j k} T_i, then alongside the BCH formula one can expand the Maurer-Cartan forms (left-invariant (e i) i=1 n(e^i)_{i = 1}^n with de i=12f jk ie je k\mathrm{d}e^i = -\tfrac{1}{2}f^i_{j k} \, e^j e^k) of the corresponding Lie group in these coordinates as

e i=dx i12f jk ix jdx k+16f jk if kl kx jx kdx l+. e^i \;=\; \mathrm{d}x^i - \tfrac{1}{2}f^i_{j k} x^j \, \mathrm{d}x^k + \tfrac{1}{6} f^i_{j k'} f^{k'}_{k l} x^j x^k \, \mathrm{d}x^l + \cdots \,.

Is this BCH-like series-expansion for the MC-forms citable from any source, for the first few terms?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 10th 2024)

Urs 2: it is an easy exercise (I had to do it 18 years ago) that the inverse of the MC matrix is the expression for the say left invariant vector field in terms of the same coordinate system on a neighborhood of unit element on a Lie group; in exponential coordinates – for example – one gets the linear part of the BCH formula, as it is clarified in our paper with Durov.

• Nikolai Durov, S. Meljanac, A. Samsarov, Z. Škoda, A universal formula for representing Lie algebra generators as formal power series with coefficients in the Weyl algebra, Journal of Algebra 309:1, 318-359 (2007) math.RT/0604096, MPIM2006-62 doi published pdf

Chapter 7 has a conceptual intro, chap 2-6 are brute force calculational approach.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Here is the reasoning for the explicit formula in exponential coordinates, but a fresher version not mentioning MC is chapter 2 in LMP paper on Hopf algebroids,

• S. Meljanac, Z. Škoda, M. Stojić, Lie algebra type noncommutative phase spaces are Hopf algebroids, Lett. Math. Phys. 107:3, 475–503 (2017) doi arXiv:1409.8188

Given any basis e 1,,e ne_1,\ldots,e_n of the tangent Lie algebra T eGT_e G, extend it to a basis e 1 *,,e n *e_1^*, \ldots,e_n^* of the space of left invariant vector fields on GG, and consider the dual differential forms ω 1,,ω n\omega^1,\ldots,\omega^n, that is ω i(e j)=δ j i\omega^i(e_j) = \delta^i_j where δ j i\delta^i_j is the usual Kronecker delta times the unit constant function on group GG. Forms ω i\omega^i are sometimes called Maurer-Cartan forms, but more often nowdays the left-invariant 𝔤\mathfrak{g}-valued form i=1 nω ie i\sum_{i=1}^n \omega^i e_i, comprising all ω i\omega^i-s, bears the same name.

exp:𝔤G\exp : \mathfrak{g} \to G is a C C^\infty-map, and it is a diffeomorphism when restricted to an open star-shaped neighborhood UU of 0𝔤0\in \mathfrak{g}. In particular, we may consider the pullbakcs exp *ω i\exp^* \omega^i and hence define functions A j i:X(exp *ω i) X( j)A^i_j : X \mapsto (\exp^* \omega^i)_X (\partial'_j) where X= kx ke k𝔤X = \sum_k x^k e_k \in \mathfrak{g} and j\partial'_j corresponds to e je_j under the natural isomorpshism between T eGT_e G and in T XT eGT_X T_e G. Denote also j:=d(exp X( j))T expX\partial_j := d (\exp_X(\partial'_j)) \in T_{\exp{X}}. Helgason shows~(Helgason, II 7, page 139), that for all 1jn1\leq j\leq n,

1e adXadX(e j)= i=1 nA j i(X)e i, \frac{1 - e^{-\ad{X}}}{\ad{X}} (e_j) = \sum_{i=1}^n A^i_j(X)\, e_i,

where adX(X j)= k( ix ic ij k)e k \ad{X}(X_j) = \sum_k (\sum_i x^i c_{ij}^k) e_k and the structure constants c ij kc^k_{ij} in symbolic are defined by [e i,e j]=c ij ke k[e_i, e_j] = c^k_{ij} e_k. Thus adX N(e j)=(m N) j ke k\ad{X}^N (e_j) = (m^N)^k_j e_k, where m j k:= ix ic ij km^k_j := \sum_i x_i c^k_{ij} are the components of some matrix mm, and m Nm^N is its NN-th matrix power.

Let A 1A^{-1} be the inverse matrix of AA, that is, kA j i(A 1) k j=δ k i\sum_k A^i_j (A^{-1})^j_k = \delta^i_k etc. Let e l *= jχ l j je_l^* = \sum_j \chi_l^j \partial_j. Then (ω i) expX( jχ l j j)=δ j i(\omega^i)_{\exp{X}} ( \sum_j \chi_l^j \partial_j) = \delta^i_j, hence jχ l jω i( j)= jχ l jA j i=δ l i\sum_j \chi_l^j \omega^i (\partial_j) = \sum_j \chi_l^j A^i_j = \delta^i_l i.e. χ l r=(A 1) l r\chi^r_l = (A^{-1})^r_l. This yields our formula.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 10th 2024)

In general coordinates, one takes the MC matrix and calculates the equation for the inverse and then one compares it to the differential equation for function ϕ\phi in our paper with Durov (the equation is in the chapter 4). The equation was btw in the very first letter of Lie around 1871 in which he actually proposed the idea of Lie algebra by looking at the differential equations for infinitesimal action up to second order. In the modern terms, the differential equation and the letter have been explained in short in the historical appendix to Lie groups book of Bourbaki written by Dieudonne.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Maybe you could look at Helgason and see that your formula is there implicitly.

II 7, page 139 in

• Sigurdur Helgason, Differential geometry, Lie groups and symmetric spaces, Am. Math. Soc. (2001). Acad. Press (1978)
    • CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 10th 2024)

Take into account the inverse matrix (and make sure if you work with the same convention left vs right invariant diff forms) to have the agreement in signs and coefficients.

BCH-like series-expansion for the MC-forms

It is from only the linear terms of BCH in fact, that is those which are linear in one of the two variables. Or, in differential geometric terms, it is from the formula for the differential of the exponential map (hence similarity to the Todd genus etc. in our case).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 10th 2024)

If one takes the Maurer-Cartan equation in ANY coordinates (not the normal coordinates induced by the exponential map) and uses the formula for the differential of the inverse matrix, and if the ϕ j i\phi^i_j are the entries of the inverse matrix you get the differential equation for the components of the vector field. That is if the left invariant vector fields are

X j=ϕ j i(x) i X_j = \sum \phi^i_j(x) \partial_i

then (A 1) j i(A^{-1})^i_j satisfies the equation for ϕ j i\phi^i_j iff AA satisfies MC. This is the exercise I was talking about.

The equation for ϕ j i\phi^i_j is

(δ ρϕ μ γ)ϕ ν ρ(δ ρϕ ν γ)ϕ μ ρ=C μν σϕ σ γ (\delta_\rho \phi^\gamma_\mu)\phi^\rho_\nu - (\delta_\rho \phi^\gamma_\nu)\phi^\rho_\mu = C^\sigma_{\mu\nu} \phi^\gamma_\sigma

where CC are the structure constants and δ ρ\delta_\rho is the ρ\rho-th partial derivative.

Our approach in the paper with Durov is having diff. operators acting from the right and then using the antiautomorphism of the Weyl algebra so some signs and orders are opposite to the commutative viewpoint. This is in order to look at X iX_i as coordinates in the noncommutative deformation.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2024
    • (edited Sep 11th 2024)

The answer is: Helgason (2001), II Thm. 7.4.

Thanks!

Concretely:

That theorem gives the MC forms at X=x iT iX = x^i T_i as

e i=dx i(1exp(adX)adX( k))dx k e^i \;=\; \mathrm{d}x^i \left( \frac {1 - exp(- ad X)} {ad X} (\partial_k) \right) \mathrm{d}x^k

where (by ibid, p. 36)

1exp(A)A n=0 1(n+1)!(A) n, \frac{1 - exp(-A)}{ A } \;\; \coloneqq \;\; \sum_{n=0}^\infty \tfrac{1}{(n+1)!} (-A)^n \,,

so that:

e i=dx i( n=0 1(n+1)!(adX) n( k))dx k. e^i \;=\; \mathrm{d}x^i \left( \textstyle{ \sum_{n = 0}^\infty } \tfrac{1}{(n+1)!} ( - ad X )^n (\partial_k) \right) \mathrm{d}x^k \,.

Unwinding this with

(adX)=(x jf j ) (ad X) \;=\; \big( x^j f^\bullet_{j \bullet} \big)

we get my little formula from #2

e i=11!dx i12!f jk ix jdx k+13!f jk if kl kx jx kdx l+ e^i \;=\; \tfrac{1}{1!} \mathrm{d}x^i - \tfrac{1}{2!} f^i_{jk}x^j \mathrm{d}x^k + \tfrac{1}{3!} f^i_{j k'} f^{k'}_{k l} x^j x^k \mathrm{d}x^l + \cdots

Will be adding this now to Maurer-Cartan form.