Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010

following public demand, I created an entry titled

(If you don’t like this title, please have a look first to see if it makes sense afterwards. If still not, I won’t be dogamitic about this and am open for suggestions for other titles.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    I like it.
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I don’t understand what this is saying. A transformation FGF\to G between nn-categories CC and DD is certainly given by an nn-functor CD Δ 1C\to D^{\Delta^1} or equivalently an nn-functor C×Δ 1DC\times \Delta^1\to D. But where do the (n1)(n-1)-categories come in?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 6th 2010)

But where do the (n−1)-categories come in?

Because for DD an nn-category, that component-functor of the transformation is fixed by its value on the (n1)(n-1)-skeleton of CC.

An ordinary natural transformation η:FG:CD\eta : F \Rightarrow G : C \to D is in components a 0-functor

η:Obj(C)D Δ[1]. \eta : Obj(C) \to D^{\Delta[1]} \,.

A pseudonatural transformation between 2-functors between 2-categories is really a 1-functor

η:sk 1CD Δ[1] \eta : sk_1 C \to D^{\Delta[1]}

and so on. Because the naturality condition and the fact that DD has no nontrivial (k>n)(k \gt n)-cells fixes the remaining data.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Well, that’s sort of true, but in general, the “(n1)(n-1)-skeleton” of a weak nn-category is not an (n1)(n-1)-category. E.g. if you discard the 2-cells from a bicategory, you don’t get a category, because composition is not associative.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Well, that’s sort of true,

Okay. So for strict \infty-categories it is precisely true.

For weak categories the description is not as straightforward, but the general principle still holds: the transformation is fixed by its values on (n1)(n-1)-cells and the naturality condition that it satisfies makes it respect compositions in a natural way. One needs to organize this data properly.

Possibly a way to formalize this is to throw away only all those nn-morphisms that are not structure morphisms. So for instance I could start with an algebraic quasi-nn-category and then form the (n1)(n-1)-skeleton but keeping all the chosen nn-horn fillers. That should yield an (n1)(n-1)-category in the sense that it is (n1)(n-1)-truncated.

For low nn one can arrgange things by hand: for 2-categories we can invoke semistrictification to pass to an equivalent model where the 1-morphisms do form a category.

For general nn-categories I could appeal to Simpson’s conjecture to similarly deduce that the components of a transformation have as domain an (n1)(n-1)-semicategory (no identity kk-morphisms). (The transformation will of course also respect these units in some way.)

• CommentRowNumber7.

Possibly a way to formalize this is to throw away only all those nn-morphisms that are not structure morphisms. So for instance I could start with an algebraic quasi-nn-category and then form the (n1)(n-1)-skeleton but keeping all the chosen nn-horn fillers. That should yield an (n1)(n-1)-category in the sense that it is (n1)(n-1)-truncated.

I don’t see any reason why that would give you an (n1)(n-1)-truncated thing; it seems to me that the structure isomorphisms might still be nontrivial automorphisms. Nor is it clear to me that it would be invariant under passing to an equivalent nn-category.

One thing that should be true is that for any algebraic notion of nn-category, there’s a corresponding notion of “top-level-incoherent (n1)(n-1)-category” which just has all the operations on <n\lt n-dimensional cells that your notion of nn-category has. If your notion of nn-category had strict associativity and interchange, then this would be your (n1)(n-1)-semicategories.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 6th 2010)

I don’t see any reason why that would give you an (n−1)-truncated thing; it seems to me that the structure isomorphisms might still be nontrivial automorphisms.

Right, that was wrong.

One thing that should be true is that for any algebraic notion of nn-category, there’s a corresponding notion of “top-level-incoherent (n1)(n-1)-category” which just has all the operations on <n\lt n-dimensional cells that your notion of nn-category has. If your notion of nn-category had strict associativity and interchange, then this would be your (n1)(n-1)-semicategories.

Okay, I’ll go through the entry now, and try to clarify these issues a bit more.

One interesting aspect to notice (which I still need to say in the entry), with an eye towards the motivating “holography for QFT nn-functors” is that Chris Schommer-Pries famously found (slide 81 of his notes referenced in the entry) that boundary conditions and defect lines in 2d QFT are not in fact given by natural transformations of 2-functors, but by canonical morphisms aka “supernatural transformations”, those that are natural only with respect to the invertible nn-cells.

This is something that still deserves better conceptual understanding, I think.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010

Okay, I edited the entry a bit more. There is now one expository section with elementary details on how natural transformations between strict n-categories work for low nn.

Then following this is a section with more on the general statement. There is lots of room to further improve this. But I am getting a bit tired. Has been a long day.

• CommentRowNumber10.

I tried to clarify a bit further and copied my remark from above about (n-1)-dimensional structures.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Mike #10, copied it where?

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Mike #10, copied it where?

Last paragraph of the Formalizations-subsection

• CommentRowNumber13.

Are the boundary QFTs of QFTs involved in S- and T-duality related interestingly?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Are the boundary QFTs of QFTs involved in S- and T-duality related interestingly?

That’s actually a good question. I don’t really know.

Concretely, since Witten identifies ordinary quantum mechanics on the boundary of the A-model, it would be very interesting to see what happens on the boundary of the mirror-symmetric B-model. Maybe he already wrote about that. I didn’t follow all the latest articles closely enough.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015

I had an enquiry by email about the status of abstract formulations of holography in view of what there is at duality in physics. The page for this thread is the closest to an abstract general account of holography, I guess. Given that it’s often called a physical duality, could there be any connection between the pages?

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2021

I came across this page holographic principle of higher category theory again after several years. The content hasn’t been touched for a decade. Has anything relevant happened in the meantime?