Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010

I had started an entry “exponentiation” but then thought better of it and instead expanded the existing exponential object: added an examples-section specifically for SetSet and made some remarks on exponentiation of numbers.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

There is an entry exponential map as well. It should stay separate -- he continuous context is different from the arithmetics of cardinals which may fall into decategorification of the situation at exponential object. So the case of cardinals where the exponentiation is by the counting of the size of power set related etymologically to exponential object is the intersection of two notions which would be overstretched to unify -- solutions of ODEs leading to exponential functions, operators, maps, unipotent groups and so on, and the case of generalizing counting power sets to exponential objects.

It would be nice to have something about the unipotent groups, as it is related to many cases where Feynman integrals appear. By opening the entry on free Lie algebra I mean one should look at the exponent of this Lie algebra via ordered products...

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I added many more references to free Lie algebra including Kapranov and also Schneps.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I agree with Zoran here, and I didn’t see what you were getting at in the final paragraph of the section on exponentiation of sets and numbers (in particular, I didn’t know what “it” in “It yields for instance” was supposed to refer to).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Cardinal numbers as isomorphism classes of objects in Set is OK, but more general numbers, operators etc. indeed belong to different kind of exponentiation. I guess Urs was looking at cardinals (including nonnegative integers) only what is OK, but somehow wanted to think beyond what is not that apt.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2016

I added to exponential object an example that a natural transformation is exponentiable in D CD^C if it is cartesian and pointwise-exponentiable. Has anyone seen this before?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorPeter Heinig
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017
    • (edited Jun 19th 2017)

Added to exponential object the usage exponential transpose (which is frequently used, but somewhat surprisingly was found on three pages on the nLab only) and also the lambda-notation, with a reference, and, confined to the footnote, the rather rare alternative “flat”-notation.

• CommentRowNumber8.

It’s also known as currying, and I’m sure other names are in usage. I added a note on that.

• CommentRowNumber9.

I made exponential transpose a redirect to currying, although I suppose one might argue that it should redirect to exponential object instead.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorPeter Heinig
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2017

Since to me it seems useful for readers I added, confined to footnotes and with references, some notational remarks to exponential object and adjunct.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2019
    Does the nLab have an article on exponentiable maps? Currently, only exponential object seems to exist, but I may be missing something.
    • CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2019

No, they’re just bullet point 3 under “Examples” in exponential object. In principle they certainly deserve their own page; if you want to create one that’d be great!

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorTim Campion
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2021

I just added a few more examples, including examples of exponentiable morphisms. I’m not an expert in the literature here, but I couldn’t find a characterization of all exponentiable morphisms of locales or of toposes. I added several references, but I got a bit lazy at the end so some of the references are little more than just links.

diff, v53, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • (edited Feb 22nd 2021)

I also just noticed that the doi of one of the references I added has parentheses in the URL, which are getting mis-parsed by the page render so that the link is not usable. I’m not sure what to do about that.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, that’s an issue. Two ways to go about it:

either replace “(” by “%28” and “)” by “%29” (browsers may do that for you in the URL line when asked to open it).

or use HTML-syntax for the link

<a href="url">text</a>

• CommentRowNumber16.

Thanks, Urs. I think I’ve fixed the URL (I used the html option.)

diff, v54, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2021

Clarified the requirements of existence of products and pullbacks for exponentiability, and added the fact that exponentiable morphisms are pullback-stable in the presence of coreflexive equalizers.

diff, v55, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2021
    • (edited Aug 28th 2021)

added pointer to:

diff, v57, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2021

added pointer to:

diff, v58, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2021

Prompted by the thread for “residual” here I discovered that this entry here had a line saying (here):

When CC is not cartesian but merely monoidal, then the analogous notion is that of a left/right residual.

This seems strange to me, given that “residual” seems to be just a non-standard invention for the classical “internal hom”, and given that the entry here starts out saying in its first line that exponential objects are internal homs in cartesian monoidal categories.

So I have changed “residual” to “internal hom” in that line. But I think the whole line remains somewhat redundant in the present entry.

diff, v59, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

I guess it’s coming from things like residuated lattices.

We have at closed monoidal category

The analogue of exponential objects for monoidal categories are left and right residuals.

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

That line at closed monoidal category is from the one and same author who’s edits are being debated: rev 34 in 2017.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • (edited Sep 8th 2021)

My impression is that there are several intuitions, examples and concepts, that are interlocking here. I knew of residuated lattices from seminars on semigroup theory, languages and automata, etc., and also on the idempotent semiring (max,plus)-algebra ideas modelling discrete event systems. The link with exponential objects sometimes is mentioned in the literature, but those seminars etc were 15 years ago, so (i) I probabnly have lost and forgotten the references, and (ii) there are probably more recent treatments more in line with the categorical viewpoint.

(I wonder if there is not more recent stuff under possibly yet another name, within the Applied Category Theory community.)

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2022

Added a reference to

• Jason Parker, Exponentiability in categories of relational structures , arXiv:2208:07350 (2022) (abstract)

diff, v61, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

have hyperlinked the term relational structure

diff, v62, current

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • (edited Aug 17th 2022)

Added to the description that the definition of exponential object is equivalent to that of a representation of hom(×Y,X)hom(- \times Y, X).

diff, v63, current

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2023

Added a sentence to the idea section, to remove any temporary impression that a cartesian closed category is prerequisite to speaking of exponential objects.

diff, v64, current

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2023

Mention that exponentiable objects can be defined in categories without finite products.

diff, v65, current

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2023

Elaborate on the formulation of exponential objects that doesn’t require cartesian products.

diff, v66, current

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2023

I have fixed the typesetting of the formula and touched the wording (here).

diff, v67, current

• CommentRowNumber31.
    • CommentAuthorjonsterling
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2023

Fix typo: exponentiable => exponential

diff, v68, current