Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010

since we were talking about rigged Hilbert spaces, I figured it was time to create an entry on John Roberts

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Looks good; thanks. I assume John Roberts is Australian; no relation to our own David Roberts?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

John Roberts was born in England, (I think), but his father came from the Llŷn Peninsula. He has worked in Rome at Tor Vergata for a long time.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

John Roberts was born in England, (I think), but his father came from the Llŷn Peninsula. He has worked in Rome at Tor Vergata for a long time.

Some kind Lab-elf pasted this into the entry at John Roberts

• CommentRowNumber5.

@Urs. I am not 100% certain of my facts about John Roberts. I have met him and discussed the family background as he had arrived at the conference from visiting in North Wales. I was merely pointing out the obvious, namely that North Wales produces good n-category theorist. s:-)

We should check a bit more before putting the background there otherwise we might perpetuates an untruth!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

The irony is, my father’s name is John Roberts, but this is not him. But with such a common name, it is not unexpected. When I was an undergraduate, there was another David Roberts (or two!) on campus.

• CommentRowNumber7.

In our area we have Williams, Roberts, and Jones. (Slightly fewer than in some parts of Wales.) The phone book has nearly a full page of J. Roberts (small type face!!!!) (I could tell David how many inches of D. Roberts there are .. if he is interested.) I should say that this is just North Wales, there are other Phone Books!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

@Tim, I still remember when I first introduced myself at Streetfest you said “Not another David Roberts” :)

• CommentRowNumber9.

@David Remember St David is the patron saint of Wales.

• CommentRowNumber10.

I know, I know, there are many a Davey/Davie/Davy/Dafydd/Dewi/Dai/Daf/Taff/Taffy out there in ol’ Cymru.

• CommentRowNumber11.

Taff really refers to people from Cardiff only. The River there is the Afon Taff. (Nice city with some good functional analysts in it!)

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

Does that mean that a traditional Celtic poet from Cardiff is a Bardd of Afon?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • (edited Oct 28th 2010)

Weak joke. :-(

On a non-Mathematical aside, I find if interesting that so many rivers in England have celtic names. Far fewer other features have retained their pre-Anglo-Saxon names. (There is some discussion in archaeology in the UK as to the real extent and nature of the Anglo-Saxon invasions, so the foundation myths of the English (and the Welsh, and the Bretons, …) are being questioned.)

(For those of you who have never needed to have any knowledge of Welsh names etc., afon (pronounced ’avon’ but with a short ’a’ is the Welsh word for river.)

• CommentRowNumber14.

@Zoran reacting to your slipped in remark on another thread! Stratford upon Avon. Interesting example: Stratford = straight ford because near there a Roman road went through a river. This is purely English in derivation. In this case the river Avon = the river river. (Note the town of Bath is also on a river Avon, and is nowhere near Stratford.)

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010

@ Tim #13: I didn’t realise that the name was quite so generic as that! I should have looked it up.

@ Tim #14: So ‘Stratford upon Avon’ means the straight ford upon the river, as if there might be a straight ford somewhere else!

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • (edited Nov 1st 2010)

Actually in Somerset there is a very straight part of a small river of length about 200m(<-metres not miles!) which is a road, so there the ford is in the river. (This is near Cheddar. I mention that because there are a large number of people in the world who eat the cheese called Cheddar without realising that it is the name of a town, and in fact of a beautiful Gorge, and no I do not get paid by the Somerset Tourist Board. My family comes from that area.) The Rivers Severn, Don, Adur, Thames, Ouse, etc are all pre-Saxon.

There is a small town near Milton Keynes called Stoney Stratford, and that is very descriptive. There is a village called Streton-on-the-Fosse. (Work that one out.)

But enough of this fascinating non-maths. (Toby, look out for the book Stories of English, by David Crystal. Excellent read.)

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Tim, thank you for a lovely toponymic instruction! (I never passed through Bath, the town of which I learned from Jane Austin (Northanger Abbey (wikipedia)) while taking pre-romantism/romantism-centered English literature class from late Ivo Vidan in Fall 1992.

• CommentRowNumber18.

My family is from not far from there. Bath is a beautiful city with the Georgian terraces etc. and Roman baths, which still have their natural supply of hot water. If you are in the south of the UK sometime and have a little time to spend, look at Bath and then go up the Cotswold Hills back up towards Gloucester and then east towards Oxford. Not far but some lovely villages in a honey coloured stone. (Have a look at pictures of Bath and wander around using Google Earth!!!)

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015

Sad news. I just received this from David Evans in Cardiff: >

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

we deeply regret to have to communicate another terrible piece of news concerning our community: our close friend, collaborator and colleague John E. Roberts passed away on August 3rd in Goettingen - where he and his wife Duerten had moved in the recent years.

John was hospitalized since few days, having broken a leg and undergone the necessary surgery. He did not recover from it due to some severe complications occurring thereafter.

It is a terrific loss, for the close personal relations, for our subject, for science; we feel very much near to the children Mark, Linda and Jenny, and especially to Duerten, who is facing a very difficult moment.

Sergio Doplicher, Detlev Buchholz and Roberto Longo

• CommentRowNumber20.

A pity.

(How’s this bit of historical trivia: my wife’s maiden name was Breen…)

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

David R, I assume no relation to JR. He was also Australian though, right?

I had only recently learned of the passing of Stephen Schanuel and of R.F.C. (Bob) Walters. Bob was in his early 70’s, I believe – not very old. His last blog entry was from a hospital bed, IIRC. Sad news indeed.

• CommentRowNumber22.

I refer the learned gentleman to #2 and #6.

Yes, Walters’ blog I hope will be preserved. He also had a bunch of stuff on there are one point that was taken down for reorganising, IIRC, and never got put back up, which is a pity. I hope the files are still floating around the computer.

• CommentRowNumber23.

I note that JER has no wikipedia page, so we’d better make sure our facts are correct in case we get cited by someone making one!

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2021

Name redirects.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2023

I remember that, may years ago, I once visited somebody who showed me a hard paper copy of this article:

• John Roberts, Mathematical Aspects of Local Cohomology, talk at Colloqium on Operator Algebras and their Applications to Mathematical Physics, Marseille 20-24 June, (1977)

but I don’t seem to have made a copy of it, and in any case I can’t find any in my files.

Does anyone have or can produce an electronic copy of this item?

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2023

The correct reference is

Algèbres d’opérateurs et leurs applications en physique mathématique (Proc. Colloq., Marseille, 1977), pp. 321–332,

Colloques Internationaux du Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 274, Paris, 1979.

Algèbres d’opérateurs et leurs applications en physique mathématique.

Colloquium held at Marseille, June 20–24, 1977.

Colloques Internationaux du Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 274.

Éditions du Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), Paris, 1979. 533 pp.

ISBN: 2-222-02441-2

Curiously, there is a scan of a different paper (by Haagerup) from this book on my home page.

I ordered the article from the library, should be ready soon…

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2023

Great –thanks!!

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2023
    • (edited May 9th 2023)
    • CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2023

Thank you!!

I have accordingly touched our bibitem where it appears here and in other entries.

diff, v11, current