Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011

at hypercover I have slightly expanded the remark about the examples: I have created a subsection “Examples” and described what degreewise the conditions on a hypercover YXY \to X are in the case that XX is simplicially constant.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011

added to hypercover a brief section with the main statement from Dugger-Hollander-Isaksen on hypercovers over “Verdier sites” here.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2014

Something really basic: given a coverage CC with associated Grothendieck topology TT, every TT-hypercover should have a refinement by a CC-hypercover – right?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Hmm, I can think of how to build one inductively and then this should work for truncated hypercovers, but I’m not sure about non-truncated ones. (Further answers will have to wait till tomorrow)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, good point. Hm.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

According to the cited definition of hypercover, only the Grothendieck topology matters, so the two notions should be the same. No? (The point is that the notion of local epimorphism depends only on the Grothendieck topology.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 7th 2014)

I should clarify, I was using the term in the sense of Dugger-Hollander-Isaksen which incorporates part of “split hypercover”. David seemed to have guessed correctly what I mean, but to clarify:

given a hypercover which is degreewise a coproduct of domains of morphisms in covering families of the Grothendieck topology TT coming from a coverage CC, may we refine by a hypercover which is degreewise a coproduct of domains of morphisms in covering families of CC?

It should be clear that one may just iteratively choose CC-covers. But as David says, maybe there is a subtlety in “taking the limit”?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

I’m afraid that’s not any clearer. Every representable occurs as a domain of a morphism in a covering family, namely the trivial one. Moreover, the DHI definition of “(split) hypercover” depends only on the Grothendieck topology; and cofibrancy in the projective model structure does not depend on the choice of coverage at all, so the cofibrant hypercovers remain the same, if that is what you are interested in.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 7th 2014)

Not for a coverage.

As an example: consider the category of complex manifolds with coverage-ing families the covers by polydiscs. Any complex manifold may be covered by just these. Now given any hypercover which is degreewise a coproduct of complex manifolds (or of Stein spaces, if you wish), may one refine by a hypercover which is degreewise a coproduct of just polydiscs?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The analogous statement in (DHI02) (which assumes existence of more pullbacks in the site than I want to assume, I don’t want to assume a Verdier site here) is theorem 8.6. That sets up the expected induction and then the proof ends.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • (edited Jun 7th 2014)

Hmmm. In some sense, what you are doing there is shrinking the underlying category of the site. Regardless, if that’s all you are interested in, then there is no problem: every hypercover can be refined in the way you want. In the usual proof (e.g. Lemma 8.2.20 in my notes) that every local trivial fibration (of a representable) can be refined by a hypercover, in the step where we form a coproduct of representables, replace each representable with a coproduct of distinguished ones.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 7th 2014)

In some sense, what you are doing there is shrinking the underlying category of the site.

That’s exactly what I am after, yes. The \infty-version of “dense subsite”.

When dealing with cohesion it turned out to be a nice trick to shrink the category of manifolds to the category of Cartesian spaces, i.e. to discs. (Since in that case one has good open covers, I could avoid working with (and, worse, thinking about) hypercovers.) Now I want to shrink a category of analytic manifolds to that of just polydiscs.

Thanks a lot for the pointer to your notes! I’ll have a look now.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, I have used this to jot down the intended proof that AnlyticGrpd\mathbb{C}Anlytic\infty Grpd is cohesive, here.

This needs more polishing, but I have to dash off now.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2014

Any interesting spectra in AnlyticGrpd\mathbb{C}Anlytic\infty Grpd? What’s the equivalent of ’differential’ as in differential cohomology/refinement? Analytic?

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2014
    • (edited Jun 8th 2014)

The holomorphic de Rham complex and Deligne complex are objects in CplxAnalyticInftyGrpd, representing what would alternatively be called Dolbeault cohomology, holomorphic differential cohomology or the like. (One should recall at this point that this holomorphic version was what Deligne and Beilinson originally introduced in the early 1970s, long before Brylinski and others popularized the smooth differential geometric version.)

Crucially, the discussion at intermediate Jacobian lives here, that’s what I was after now.

(Telegraphic since i am on my phone, more later.)

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2014
    • (edited Jun 9th 2014)

Zhen Lin,

your lemma 8.2.20 proceeds by induction, as does theorem 8.6 in DHI, as mentioned above. This clearly gives the answer for n-truncated hypercovers for any finite nn. Does one not need to add some argument that the construction also works for the untruncated case? This is what David alluded to in #4.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

I don’t see any problem. See, for instance, Propositions 5.4 and 6.4 in [DHI, 2004].

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, I am seeing there… let’s agree on a version, it seems the numbering changed. How about we look at math/0205027v2. Do you mean to point to 5.4 and 6.4 there?

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014

The induction causes no trouble if it doesn’t touch the earlier stages of the construction, which does happen when trying to refine a hypercover by the nerve of an ordinary cover, but I suspect not in this case. In fact that’s the point of a hypercover, you just use what you have in lower degrees and fix up where you are up to.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

@Urs

I was referring to the published version. In the arXiv v2 version, it’s Propositions 5.5 and 6.6.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, right. I was being stupid here. Sorry.

Once I am no longer just on my phone, I should next look more into if this way we indeed get a split hypercover…

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, of course splitness is automatic by the construction.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have added the statement to the entry, see at hypercover – Properties – Existence and refinement – Over general sites.

Please check and please feel invited (I’ll keep reiterating that) to expand.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

Please bear in mind that I update my notes from time to time, and sometimes the numbering gets changed; but I keep all versions available online, so as long as you include the date/version, there should be no confusion.

My theorem 8.2.14 does not quite say that local trivial Kan fibrations have the local lifting property; rather it corresponds to Theorem 6.15 in [DI, 2002]. Perhaps what you want is Theorem 7.2 in [DI, 2002]?

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, I have added the date to all the pointers.

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthormattecapu
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2023

fixed broken link

diff, v41, current