Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011

Created a stubby page uniform locale.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011

Thanks; I’ve never looked into these.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2016

Thinking about this some more, I am puzzled by the fact that all definitions of uniform locales I have seen use the covering notion of uniformity. (Johnstone’s paper cited at uniform locale bills itself as a “I”, with a sequel promised to cover entourages, but as far as I can tell the sequel never appeared.) If you look at the usual equivalence between entourage and covering uniformities, the passage from an entourage uniformity to a covering uniformity is the direction that refers to points: the basic coverings are those of the form {U[x]xX}\{ U[x] \mid x\in X \} for entourages UU, i.e. each basic cover is indexed by the set of points of the space. So it seems clear to me that a treatment using entourages would be more “point-free”. In particular, an entourage, being a subspace of X×XX\times X whose image under one projection to XX is all of XX, can be regarded as a “cover” of XX indexed by a space (the space XX) rather than by a set; so it seems clearly limiting, when our spaces don’t have enough points, to restrict ourselves to covers indexed by sets rather than (point-free) spaces.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2016

This reminds me of Andrew Stacey’s philosophy of “smoothly local” geometry: on has, for instance, charts on a manifold smoothly parameterized by the manifold itself, rather than an indexing set.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Hmm, now I think maybe my brain was turned off – given an entourage UU, we can instead look at the cover by all opens VV such that V×VUV\times V \subseteq U, which doesn’t refer to points.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Dec 9th 2016)

To my mind, the problem is that entourages aren't analogous to open subsets; they're analogous to neighbourhoods. You need a point to specify a neighbourhood, whereas you don't to specify an entourage, but that's just a consequence of the reversal of quantifiers when uniformizing: one says U,x,y,(x,y)U\exists U, \forall x, \forall y, (x,y) \in U \Rightarrow (where UU is an entourage) in a uniform space, rather than x,U,y,yU\forall x, \exists U, \forall y, y \in U \Rightarrow (where now UU is a neighbourhood of xx) in a topological space. But they still behave like neighbourhoods, in particular not needing to be open, and that's not natural for locales.

At least the filter of neighbourhoods of a point in a topological space has a base consisting of open neighbourhoods. Does the filter of entourages in a uniform space have a base consisting of open entourages? I don't remember any such result, but it doesn't sound unreasonable.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Yes, the filter of entourages does have a base of open ones. If UU is any entourage, then its interior contains any entourage VV such that VVVUV\circ V\circ V \subseteq U, hence is also an entourage.

One apparent problem is that for open subsets U,VU,V of X×XX\times X the composite UVU\circ V may not be open unless XX is overt. But I don’t think that’s really a problem; to say VVUV\circ V \subseteq U we can either interpret VVV\circ V as a not-necessarily-open sublocale of X×XX\times X (since images of sublocales always exist), or equivalently pull everything back to open parts of X×X×XX\times X\times X.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016

I fixed the covering-style definition at uniform locale to agree with Johnstone’s in the constructive case, and added what seems to me to be the most natural entourage-style definition.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2016

That looks reasonable. When you say that the equivalence has maybe never appeared in the literature, do you merely mean that it may have never been properly published, or do you mean that it may have never been established at all. In other words, have you verified that they are equivalent?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2016

I have not.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2016

I rephrased to clarify that.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2016

Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2019

This articles claims that

It is not clear whether these definitions are equivalent. Most references (see below) use only covering uniformities, although Johnstone 89 promises an equivalence to entourage uniformities in a future paper.

I must be missing something, but doesn’t Corollary XII.3.4.3 in Picado and Pultr’s book Frames and Locales prove that these definitions are, in fact, equivalent?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2019

The claim in question was added in Revision 6 by Mike Shulman on December 14, 2016 at 16:18:03.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2019

While attempting to edit this page in order to add a description of the equivalence between covering and entourage uniformities, I encounter an error “Invalid LaTeX block: }”, even if I do not make any changes whatsoever.

In other words, it appears that Instiki/Maruku rejects the current version of this article.

Furthermore, it doesn’t say at what line the error occurs, so it is impossible to fix it.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2019

I don’t have time to look at PP right now. But you could very well be right; probably that comment was written before I had acquired a copy of their book.

1. Re #15: I have fixed the page now. Impossible was a little strong; if one looked at the rendered page, one could see where the problem was. The new renderer is a little stricter than the old one, so there may be occasional occurrences of this for pages that have not been edited since the new renderer was introduced.

The problem in this case was an awful hack somebody had used to try to render something.

• CommentRowNumber18.

(And even if looking at the rendered page didn’t reveal the problem, one could find the problem by bisection, trying to render the first half of the page, then the first quarter or first three-quarters, etc.)

• CommentRowNumber19.

Added the equivalence between entourage uniformities and covering uniformities.

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber20.

Re #18: I did think about bisecting, but decided it’s too much effort.

Re #17: Can we make the renderer print the line number where the parsing error occurs?

• CommentRowNumber21.

Fair enough, but there’s a world of difference between “too much effort” and “impossible”. (-:

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2019

Rearranged definitions to match Picado-Pultr; removed obsolete claims.

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2019
    • (edited Jul 29th 2019)

Re #21: For me, “possible” includes, in particular, ability to overcome my laziness to do some tedious repetitive task. So it may be impossible to do after all!

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2019

That reminds me of the way my 6-year-old son uses words like “always” and “never”. E.g. “you never make pizza for dinner!” means “I asked you to make pizza for dinner today and you said no!”.

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2019

Complete uniformities. Completion of uniform locales. Criteria for completeness.

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2019

Noted that since Picado & Pultr use classical logic throughout, it is not immediately clear whether the two definitions of uniform locale also coincide constructively. (It might be the case, but one would have to trace through the proof to be sure, which I haven’t done.)

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2021

Added citation

• Graham Manuell, Uniform locales and their constructive aspects, arxiv:2106.00678

diff, v16, current

2. adding doi to reference “On the collection of points of a formal space”

Anonymous

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2022
    • (edited May 31st 2022)

Let’s hyperlink DOIs, otherwise what is the point:

• Giovanni Curi, On the collection of points of a formal space, Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, 137 1-3 (2006) 126-146 [[doi:10.1016/j.apal.2005.05.019]]

* [[Giovanni Curi]], *On the collection of points of a formal space*, Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, **137** 1-3 (2006)  126-146 $[$[doi:10.1016/j.apal.2005.05.019](https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apal.2005.05.019)$]$

diff, v19, current