Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2011

Added the statement of the Isbell-Freyd characterization of concrete categories, in the special case of finitely complete categories for which it looks more familiar, along with the proof of necessity.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2021

added pointer to:

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2022

I corrected the article to list Set Set_\bot (sets and partial functions) as an example of a a concrete category.

Is RelRel not concretizable? The explanation given is inadequate; it only suggests a specific functor is not faithful. (and… I’m not actually sure what the suggested functor is intended to be)

The article also lists Rel(C)Rel(C) as a nonexample, but that’s incorrect, since every small category is concretizable. Was there supposed to be an additional condition given on CC?

diff, v33, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl

Added to examples the case of small categories, and of locally small categories with small separators.

diff, v33, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    I think they meant "internal relation" in place of "congruence" when defining Rel(C).
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2022

Rel is also concretizable, since the singleton set is a separator, so I’ve moved it to the examples section.

I think the original intent was to provide examples where there was a naive notion of “underlying set” that did not extend to a functor. So I’ve added some additional language to the “examples” section to that effect.

diff, v36, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2022

Oh, and I’ve also added the example of the “prime spectrum” on the opposite category of rings as a nonexample (it’s not faithful), and listed Ho(Top) in the nonexamples section as well.

diff, v36, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthoranuyts
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2023

Put the comprehensible definition first.

diff, v39, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthoranuyts
    Should the definitions with "(a) collection(s) of elements" not include functor laws?
    • CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Could you be more specific about which part of the entry you are referring to?