Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011
    I find it very misleading to put Linfty in the title
    since it is just a plain old dg Lie
    and indeed the commutator dg Lie of the assoc End.

What is the meaning or significance of referring to an inner Lie alg?
    Some of the indices are messed up.
    Note that the internal differential is itself in End
    and hence acts as an inner

Regarding it as Linfty will be relevant only when mapping to or from it
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011

Jim, please help me, how can it be “very misleading” if it is “relevant for mapping to or from it”?

If an object that looks like X needs to be regarded as Y for understanding its morphisms, then I think it makes thinks clearer to think of it as a Y.

But I don’t want to fight about such terminology issues. I have changed the title of the entry. The text already commented on this issue before.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011
    Misleading only in that one might then be looking to see where some non-trivial higher brackets are lurking
    An asscoative algebra is a special case of an Aoo-alg but I wouldn't want to define it that way
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011

I did define end(V)end(V) as a dg-Lie algebra. But I called the entry “endomorphism \infty-Lie algebra” because I think what is most important about this dg-Lie algebra is to know that it is a model for the endomorphism Lie algebra in an \infty-context.

Around here we routinely say “Lie 2-algebra” for something coming from a differential crossed module. But a differential crossed module is just a certain dg-Lie algebra. Nevertheless, calling it not a crossed module and not a dg-Lie algebra but a Lie 2-algebra is good: it reminds us that the concrete implementation of this gadget as this or that is not so important, but that what is important is its meaning as a higher Lie algebra.

In this spirit I thought (and still think, to be frank) that there ought to be an entry called “endomorphism \infty-Lie algebra” which discusses the abstract concept and its models by dg-Lie algebras or by other things.

But anyway, let’s not fight over terminology anymore. Let’s save our energy for more substantial discussions!