Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011

started adding some basic technical details to topological K-theory

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

At topological K-theory I created a new subsection Relation to algebraic K-theory.

So far it just points to two references, though.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

By the way, there is a strange \ref{} on the topological K-theory entry. I do not see what it should have been.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 31st 2012)

Thanks, I have fixed that.

The problem was that the code for the definition had been

+-- {: .num_defn#DefinitionOfKClasses}

instead of

+-- {: .num_defn #DefinitionOfKClasses}

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

added to top. K-theory – classifying space statements about the model induced from unitaries modulo compact operators.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016
    • (edited Dec 13th 2016)

the entry topological K-theory was in a sad general state, and still is. But yesterday I tried to give it at least a half-way decent Idea-section.

I made this supercede the material that used to be in the Idea-section (which I felt at liberty to do, since probably I had written that some long time back).

I hope to come back to the entry and eventually turn it into something good. For the moment, due to lack of time, all I have to offer is an improved exposition in the Idea-section. But please feel invited to improve further.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2017
    • (edited May 26th 2017)

I am starting to bring some more comprehensive details into topological K-theory.

Now I worked on the Definition section, spelling out in some detail the definition of the abelian groups K(X)K(X) and K˜(X)\tilde K(X) via virtual topological vector bundles, as well as their relation.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017

I have been adding some more of the basic stuff at

But the entry does still remain incomplete.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2017
    • (edited May 30th 2017)

I have been adding this and that to topological K-theory

1. added definition of the graded K-groups (here)

2. streamlined the long exact sequences (here)

3. gave the external product on reduced groups its own subsection (here)

4. added bare defintion of the product on graded K-groups (here)

Not proof-read yet. Need to dash.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017

I have added the remark (here) that one may think of the reduced K-groups of a compact Hausdorff spaces as those K-groups on any one-point complement space that “vanish at infinity”.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2017
    • CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2017

I have completed writing up the explicit proof of the long exact sequences of topological K-theory groups by adding a few more lemmas and their proofs: here.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2017
    • (edited Jul 19th 2017)

I have further polished some of the proofs in other entries that go into this. There is now detailed proof of the long exact sequences in topoogial K-theory over compact Hausdorff spaces

1. starting with the proof of the Tietze extension theorem

2. via the lemmas about extending bundle isomorphisms here

3. to the corollary of the exactness here.

1. Corrected typo at definition of multiplication.

Anonymous

diff, v96, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2018

Thanks for catching!

2. typos in ###Graded-commutative ring structre oringin: XY=(X×X)/(XY)X \wedge Y = (X \times X)/(X \vee Y)

XΔ XX×XqX X \overset{\Delta_X}{\longrightarrow} X \times X \overset{q}{\longrightarrow} X

change to: XX=(X×X)/(XX)X \wedge X = (X \times X)/(X \vee X)

XΔ XX×XqXX X \overset{\Delta_X}{\longrightarrow} X \times X \overset{q}{\longrightarrow} X\vee X

Joe Onekun

diff, v98, current

3. typo in ###Graded-commutative ring structure

oringin:

XΔ XX×XqXX X \overset{\Delta_X}{\longrightarrow} X \times X \overset{q}{\longrightarrow} X\vee X

change to:

XΔ XX×XqXX X \overset{\Delta_X}{\longrightarrow} X \times X \overset{q}{\longrightarrow} X\wedge X

Joe Onekun

diff, v98, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2020

apparently the pdf link for

is dead, and WaybackMachine doesn’t have a copy. Does anyone else? These were good lecture notes.

diff, v114, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2020

Uploading Wirthmüller’s lectures notes to the nLab.

diff, v115, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2020

Okay, I tried to upload the file, but I get

500 Internal Server Error

when trying to use the form for file upload at

https://ncatlab.org/nlab/files/wirthm%C3%BCller-vector-bundles-and-k-theory.pdf

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2020

Thanks for looking into this!

I don’t know what the problem is, but I would try removing the special characters from the file name.

(If you replace the Umlaut by “ue” it’s still considered correct spelling.)

If this doesn’t work, maybe you could send me the file by email?

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2020

Adjusting the file name…

diff, v117, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2020

Seems to work now, thanks.

4. Corrected typo in the definition of stably equivalent vector bundles; It should read E \oplus (X \times k^n) instead of E \otimes (X \times k^n)

Anonymous

diff, v127, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2021

Thanks for catching this, that was a bad typo. In fact, also the text around it was wrong. I have fixed it now.

diff, v128, current

5. \tilde K to \widetilde{K}

Anonymous

diff, v129, current

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2023

added pointer to:

• Raoul Bott, Lectures on K(X)K(X), Benjamin (1969) [pdf]

Russian transl. by B. Yu. Sternin, Matematika 11 2 (1967) 32–56 [mathnet:mat424]

diff, v131, current