Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011
    • (edited Jul 9th 2011)

My last two attempts to uoload files to the nLab server failed: after hitting “upload” the page would wait forever for a reply.

This happened to me in the entry Alexandrov space, where you can still see the unsatisfied link to the pdf in the list of references.

Now it is happening to me with another file on my personal web.

I think the problem arises also when file sizes are larger than the maximal size determined in the web-preferences.

But this cannot be the case here. Both files in question are small compared to what I usually upload.

Any ideas?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I also commented in some post that the file of Kapranov referenced at de Rham complex did not work. I do not know if this is solved in the meantime.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

it seems to me that file upload to the nLab has globally and entirely broken down. (It does not seem to depend on files or webs or anything, nothing works.) This is most annoying for me at this moment.

I am guessing such re-bugging is induced by those software updates. If Andrew does not happen to know what’s going on, I’ll have to contact somebody. Probably Jacques I guess. But hopefully Andrew has an idea.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011
    • (edited Jul 10th 2011)

I was just able to upload a PDF Test Page from the Sandbox. (I had to clear the cache bug, however, to make it clearly visible.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, Toby, for checking. Interesting.

So somehow my system must be part of the problem.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

As it seems to be only some files that don’t upload, I can’t promise to look in to it this week. If there’s a file that won’t upload, please send me a copy of the file (via email) and details on what page you were trying to upload it to. That’ll help with debugging.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

Hi Andrew,

I have rebooted my system. After that suddenly one of the three files that I was trying to upload did upload. However, another one still does not – and this is the one that first caused problems in the first place.

I have sent you a copy via email. As I say there, I can’t say that I would not care about this problem being fixed, but please feel free to ignore this trouble if you feel it’s too much effort.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018

I just tried to upload a new and revised version of the Crossed Menagerie. When I typed something in the description box I got a warning that I needed to enable javascript and cookies. (Both were already enabled.) I then tried without a message in the description box and all went well! Any ideas why?

• CommentRowNumber9.

I now tried to delete the old files but cannot remember my password. Doh!

• CommentRowNumber10.

How can I delete those earlier versions (current is 12a)? I found what I thought was my password, but it seems to have changed!

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Apr 17th 2018)

Hi Tim, I’ve actually never tried uploading a file! Can you link to exactly where you are trying to upload it?

Edit: I worked it out, and am able to reproduce the bug you mention for uploading. I will look into it. Still not familiar with how one deletes a file; if you could link to the relevant page or provide some instructions, that would be great.

Edit 2: Found instructions for how to delete a file. The upload mechanism seems highly buggy to me, I cannot get anything to upload! I have begun looking into it, and have some idea of the cause, which is quite obscure. Will continue later.

• CommentRowNumber12.

I uploaded menagerie12a.pdf. I wanted to delete 10, 10a and 12. The instructions on deleting are found by searching on ‘upload’. (My problem there is that I seem to have changed my nLab password for something not one of my usual ones!!!!) The list of uploaded files is excellent.

I got menagerie12a.pdf to upload as long as I did not add a description.

1. I’ve now sent you the password for deletion, Tim, over email. It is not a personal password of yours, but the ’system password’. I’ve tested that it works.

As for uploading, I am still looking at it, but there are numerous problems. The errors are coming from a mechanism Instiki is using to detect spam.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • (edited Apr 17th 2018)

I have now made some changes to the file upload page which hopefully have fixed the buggy behaviour (my testing seems to indicate all now works fine). I also took the opportunity to try to improve the look of the file upload and file deletion pages, which looked pretty awful before to my eyes (still not exactly beautiful, but at least a little less cramped now!). See the commit message at github for more info.

As mentioned in the commit message, the refactoring of the spam prevention that I made here should be made throughout the nLab (it is used on all the main pages, e.g. page editing and creation). Apart from being buggy and not having been updated since 2007, it introduces javascript and cookie dependencies, where we probably do not need them (or if we do, let’s act according to what we see; use of cookies certainly seems like overkill to me). I will add this to the TODO list.

Let me know if further problems are experienced, or if you’d like me to make some further tweaks to the pages.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2018
    • (edited Apr 19th 2018)

Fixed a bug (predating the changes of #14) which prevented filenames involving spaces (for instance) being used, but only in such a way that an error occurred internally in Instiki, with the details of the error being splurged on the edit page for the affected page. There is still a little validation in place, but spaces are now permitted, and if validation fails, a more palatable error is presented to the user. The commit is available on github.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Thanks! Do you have any idea why there was this restriction on filenames involving spaces? Just an irrational prejudice against such filenames?

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • (edited Apr 19th 2018)

I can only guess!

Whatever the intentions were, I feel the way it was implemented makes no sense (that’s why I regard it as a bug), because any restriction should be imposed earlier on, where the validation takes place in the code (I elaborate slightly more on this in the commit message), so that a reasonable message can be passed on to the user; and there is no restriction on spaces in this validation (I have not checked exactly what checks are in place, but I was able to trigger a validation failure with something like the following.

[[hello%20hello|hello.pdf]]

The error displayed in such a case is not exactly great UI, but at least it is not a splurge of a stacktrace!).

Of course one needs to escape spaces in filenames on Unix systems, so maybe the original intention was to avoid worrying about that, or some such thing. If anyone does encounter any issues with or after uploading a file whose name includes spaces, just let me know, and I’ll look into it.