Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009

I just had to restart the webserver on the nlab. Hopefully it was fast enough that no-one noticed.

Something big just hit us. I'm not sure what it was yet; it might just have been a huge spike in activity since we're getting linked a lot from mathoverflow, but it might have been something else. Whatever it was, it got us up to our soft memory limit and a soft reset of Instiki didn't help. I think that the reason that the soft reset didn't help was that we needed to flush the queue of pending requests for the Instiki process - the soft reset doesn't do that but restarting apache does.

Ideally, if we're getting more traffic then the answer is to allow more concurrent processes. However, as we managed to reach our soft limit then something is still ballooning up the memory load. I need to track this down and get Jacques to fix it. In the meantime, those with access to the server and the ability to restart things, be alert (your country needs lerts).

Remember: soft reset is the "touch" command, hard reset is the "restart" command. Try the soft one first. If it doesn't help, do the hard reset.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009

Can you see which pages were being requested?

from that we could deduce if this is due to the nLab being linked to elsewhere.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009

I need to dig down a bit, but it seems to have been a multiple request on the 'list' pages (list all pages, all authors, etc). What makes me a little suspicious is that the IPs don't resolve to hostnames.

If you're interested in what links to the n-lab then that's easy enough to find out. I believe that there's some way of making Google tell you that.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    Okay, I see.

Here I wasn't thinking of identifying links to the nLab, but what these links make people do. It might be that dropping a link to the nLab on the Cat theory maining or the AlgTop mailing list list makes nobody follow it, while a link posted to MathOverflow makes a large number of people follow it. Or the other way round. One could probably tell from which pages people requested to see.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • (edited Nov 2nd 2009)

@ Urs

One should be able to get this sort of information out of the logs by looking at the Referer [sic] headings.