Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011

There is what I think is an incorrect or misleading statement in the Examples section of total category: that the category of algebras of a monad TT on SetSet is total “because” it is cocomplete (yes), has a generator (yes), and is well-copowered. The last part is incorrect by considering the category of frames as monadic over SetSet. In particular, the free frame on a countable number of generators has a proper class of (isomorphism classes of) epimorphisms coming out of it. See Johnstone’s Stone Spaces, page 57 (corollary of 2.10).

I do believe it is a theorem that any category which is monadic over SetSet is total, but the proof is perhaps somewhat non-trivial. (The case of monads with rank is, I believe, unproblematic – it’s the unbounded case which is harder.) If anyone knows of a good proof of that, I’d like to hear; otherwise I’ll try to dig it out and write it up for the Lab.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

There is a proof for categories monadic over Set in Tholen’s paper, referenced in the entry, which goes via solid functors. I’ve corrected the statement at total category (I think).

• CommentRowNumber3.

Thanks, Mike. I ought to look at that paper.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    • (edited Aug 2nd 2011)

The examples section at total category still looks suspect to me. The edit by Mike looks fine, but the assertion

Any cocomplete, well-copowered category with a generator is total

looks dubious to me (even though I don’t have a counterexample). I am guessing that what was intended was a corollary of something from Tholen’s paper (referenced in total category) that I can see is true:

• Any cocompact category with a generating set is total.

By definition, a category CC is “cocompact” if any functor G:CAG: C \to A that is co-admissible (i.e., A(a,Gc)A(a, G c) is small for any aOb(A)a \in Ob(A), cOb(C)c \in Ob(C)), and that preserves any limit which exists in CC, has a left adjoint. If CC has a generating set, then it’s not too hard to see that y:CSet C opy: C \to Set^{C^{op}} is co-admissible, and of course yy preserves any limit that exists in CC, so under these conditions yy would have a left adjoint, i.e., CC is total.

The special adjoint functor theorem gives conditions under which a category is cocompact:

• A locally small category that is complete, well-powered, and has a cogenerating set is cocompact.

These conditions are dual to those of the assertion above. So those hypotheses give us that the category is compact. But it is not true that a compact category with a generator need be total.

If there’s something that I’m missing here, I hope someone can tell me. An example which refutes the iffy assertion would be wonderful. As would a proof of the assertion, but as I say I have my doubts. I’ll wait a bit for a response, before I undertake to rewrite the page (which I am more or less prepared to do), and correct some other errors on the Lab that have emanated from the iffy assertion.

Edit: The latex is not rendering correctly. To see it, I guess click on Source, because I can’t figure out what’s wrong. Maybe something to do with the server upgrade?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011

I believe that assertion is proven in Day’s short paper “Further criteria for totality”, in Cahiers here.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Wow. Thanks! (How did you happen to know of this paper?)

• CommentRowNumber7.

Well, I think I was the one who originally added that comment to total category based on having read that paper. I should have included the reference then, of course. As for how I found the paper originally, a while back I wanted to know all I could about total categories, so I read all the papers I could find. I have no memory of how I found that particular paper.