Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011

When you type in a URL that would go to a page whose name is a redirect, the nLab nicely sends you to the target of the redirect, with a notice at the top that you’ve been redirected. But at some point since this feature was implemented, the name of the page you were redirected from has started appearing with " around it rather than actual “s. Try for instance solid functors. This looks like something is getting double-escaped; is this an nLab issue or an instiki issue, do you think?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

I’ve noticed this recently, but it seems to be dependent on the browser that I’m using (specifically, which version of Firefox) and I’ve yet to get round to figuring out which browser does it and which doesn’t. Maybe we could use this thread to record that. I’ll start off.

Using Firefox 3.6.18 then I see ".

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Also Firefox 3.6.18 here. But you’re right, it doesn’t happen in Chrome. That’s bizarre!

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

The default browser on my Android phone sees quotation marks.

Shouldn’t we be using curly quotation marks anyway? Those perhaps can be coded with raw Unicode.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The default browser on my Android phone sees quotation marks.

You mentioned this before. I am interested: is it possible to seriously read and edit the nnLab over the Android phone?

• CommentRowNumber6.

It’s not very convenient, but it’s possible. The default browser has a terrible form editor, so I usually copy the edit box, paste it into sheditor (and I don’t have a physical keyboard, so even there the edit window is rather small), edit there, then copy and paste back.

The math does not render, but I can usually tell what’s going on. (Individual letters and some other symbols will appear, without formatting.) The Lab is actually slightly easier to read than the Forum, since the Forum has that business on the left side of the screen, which I must scroll horizontally past.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, that’s useful to know. I use a “web-book” for everything I do. I dial in via a cell-phone connection with that and the connection is usually good. But even so, I can’t really use it as a phone very well! So I am interested in seeing how, from the other side of the medal, the phones are approaching web-book quality ;-)

• CommentRowNumber8.

In a way, the worst thing about my phone is the phone! If I receive an incoming call, then this makes everything else stop working, which may be tolerable on a phone but is very annoying on a general computer.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

In a way, the worst thing about my phone is the phone!

I see. That’s what they call technological progress. ;-) Reminds me of the last car that I rented, which had a mighty board computer but it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to release the parking brake…