Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009
    • (edited Jun 5th 2009)

I'm putting this here so that it doesn't distract from the fascinating 'redirects' thread.

I've noticed that lists on this forum don't appear how I want them to, and now that Toby's noticed it too then I thought it was worth investigating. I thought at first one of the filters was killing them, but turns out it's bad stylesheet design.

I'm using Toby's post on instructions on redirects as a test page. The first list there is unordered (was it meant to be?) and the other two are ordered.

The stylesheets that I've provided work as follows (several are named "default" unfortunately):

• basic vanilla: works fine
    • Dizzy: works fine
    • Vanilla sky: lists are fine, but there seems to be something missing here!
    • Tonka: no lists
    • vaneablack: all lists are bulleted (is this the default for the forum?)
    • default (first, rather pink): no lists
    • default (second): works fine
    • default (third): no lists
    • default (fourth): works fine
    • quik_red: works fine
    • cloud6: works fine

Of course, some of them have other issues. I just downloaded a bunch off the vanilla website and picked one for the default (not sure which it is off the top of my head. I switched recently to test the background transparency of the mathematics).

If you don't like any of these, then I'm happy to install others. If there's a particular shade of lurid pink that you can't do without either design your own or see if someone else has one you like. The repository is here (I'm not sure of the distinction between a "theme" and a "style").

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I don't have any thoughts about other stylesheets, but it would be nice if ordered lists were ordered.

Ok, I lied -- it would be nice if unread discussions on the main page had a more visible color. I have to tilt my screen to be able to tell the difference between the two different shades of pink.

• CommentRowNumber3.

Mike, are you aware that you can pick your own stylesheet (from the ones I've downloaded)? If not, you go to the "Account" tab and then in the menu on the left-hand side it says something like "Change stylesheet". The quickest way to see what they are like is to have another tab open with a discussion loaded, then select a stylesheet and hit "refresh" on the other tab. Via the magic of cookies, it will reload with the new stylesheet. If you don't like any of these, I'm happy to download any others.

(I didn't bother choosing anything particular in the beginning because I wasn't sure whether this would be useful so didn't want to put overmuch work into it.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009

I think I misread your post as being about what the default stylesheet should do. I think the default stylesheet should make ordered lists ordered, and maybe even change those colors, because some people (like me, sometimes) are too ignorant or lazy to figure out how to change the stylesheets.

But thanks for the tip! (-:

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009

I agree that the default stylesheet should be a good one. I wasn't aware until now that it was deficient. I'm now using "cloud6" which has good lists, but the colour distinction on the main page isn't great for that one. I think that the default stylesheet has all the requirements you ask for, except that it's rather dull and boring!

I'll change the default next time I log in as admin (non-trivial, I still haven't figured out how to make the logout work properly. I have to manually delete the cookies, but as I'm the only one with two logins on the forum (am I?) I figure I'm the only one who is affected by this). If anyone has a suggestion as to what that stylesheet should be, let me know; otherwise I'll set it to the boring standard stylesheet.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2009
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote>The first list there is unordered (was it meant to be?)</blockquote>Yes, it reinforces the perception that it is unlike the two other lists.<p>I like the Vanilla theme well enough; it's first on the list, and I won't bother to look through the others unless I find some shades-of-pink trouble.</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

I've changed the default stylesheet to the default stylesheet. That is, someone coming fresh to the forum will get the default stylesheet now. However, I'm not sure it's the one you lot are talking about as it seems to be based on yellow, not pink!

I'm not sure if it will change the stylesheet for anyone already registered. It certainly doesn't if you've chosen your own stylesheet but I'm not sure about someone who hasn't (depends on whether not making a choice means choosing the default at the time or choosing whatever happens to be the default right now). So if you want a change and you haven't gotten one, change your stylesheet in your account setting.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    Well, there are four styles named ‘default’, right?

Another annoying feature of many of the styles is that they place <code> material in a big box by itself, even it's inline (like this example). So now I'm on the fourth ‘default’, which seems to have a slight bug involving columns but no other bad features. (Vanilla Sky, incidentally, doesn't seem to work at all!)

• CommentRowNumber9.

Yes, I noticed that about code as well. It is annoying, especially on a technical forum. I figured I was prepared to live with it for the sake of the lists, but actually it's fairly easy to modify so I've done so for the stylesheet I use (cloud6).

When I originally set up this forum then I did it fairly quickly, not knowing if it was going to be useful or not. Maybe it's worth doing a little work on making it look nice now so that irritations like lists and code don't get in the way.

On the other hand, it's probably not worth spending loads of time getting everything "just right" so if you give me a quick list of what's important I'll prioritise those and come up with a stylesheet that works. Alternatively, if there's a stylesheet that someone currently really likes except for one or two things then I can easily fix those.

Hey, there are also "themes". They're something completely different! Maybe I should change the theme a day at a time and then we could all vote on our favourite ... !