Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011

created gradient

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthordomenico_fiorenza
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011
    • (edited Aug 31st 2011)

created stubs for curl and divergence

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!

I have added more links and a TOC.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I added redirect rotation of a vector field to the more cryptic anglosaxon alternative curl (and which I could prefer to be a title in fact, wikipedia givee 2.1 mil hits, for curl of a vactor field 320 thousand hits).

1. added a link to and created a stub for symplectic gradient. By trhe way, I notice now that moment map is still very stubby; i hope to be able to expand that soon.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

People are forgetting that you need an orientation, not just a metric, to do Hodge duals (and thus, for example, to define the curl of a vector field as a vector field on a Riemannian 33-fold).

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

go on, jump in, I seem not to have time these days to reconcentrate on this topic, which I started

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011

Anyway, I did expand moment map following Joel Robbin’s notes (well, I think I have learned the first steps into the subject from my advisor, so I follow his notes). Still not much there but at least the basic reasoning leading to the definition is produced (and the literature).

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011

Unhappy that we had the curl only in the classical 33 dimensions, I discussed its relation to the cross product and described nonclassical cross products. The latter page is now massively general!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Well, a further justification should go from the Stokes theorem. I mean, there is a limit of an integral formula for the rotation of the vector field, similar to the one for the divergence.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 2nd 2011)

I mean

rot𝒜=lim volD01volD Dn×𝒜dS rot \vec\mathcal{A} = lim_{vol D\to 0} \frac{1}{vol D} \oint_{\partial D} \vec{n}\times \vec\mathcal{A} d S div𝒜=lim volD01volD Dn𝒜dS div \vec\mathcal{A} = lim_{vol D\to 0} \frac{1}{vol D} \oint_{\partial D} \vec{n}\cdot \vec\mathcal{A} d S

where DD runs over the domains with smooth boundary containing point xx at which the rotation or the divergence of the vector field is calculated. These formulas are invariant.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I added the above remarks in the case of divergence (in which case this works in any dimension).

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

New entry nabla and additions to rotation of a vector field.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011

I’ve generalised nabla to discuss all applications of the operator, defined using the integral formula in a very general way, and moved the formula originally there (for the gradient only) to gradient.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Right, I have left it in a rudimentary form, planning something similar and I am happy with your way of finishing the job!

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

There is something funny going on with the rendering: at least on my system that

\nabla \odot T

in the entry sometimes (such as in the big displayed formula) comes out as “boxT\nabla box T”.

• CommentRowNumber17.

You probably caught this while I was in the midst of editing for itex’s capabilities. Reload the page and check again.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, right, now it dsiplays correctly.