Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorhilbertthm90
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

Modulo the definition, I’ve created Picard scheme. One thing I couldn’t tell, is there a standard term in nlab for the “fiber category” of a stack? I mean if F:CDF:C\to D fibers CC over DD then if you pick some object XX from DD the category C XC_X consisting of objects that go to XX and morphisms that go to id Xid_X.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

is there a standard term in nlab for the “fiber category” of a stack?

I don’t think there is currently. I would call this simply “the value of the stack at XX”. But feel free to introduce an entry for this, if you need it.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

If you’re thinking of a stack as a pseudofunctor, then “the value of the stack at XX” seems most sensible. If you prefer to think of it as a fibration, then I think “the fiber over XX” also makes perfect sense. Of course in neither case does it depend on the pseudofunctor/fibration being a stack.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorhilbertthm90

Yes, that’s why I clarified by merely saying “if F:CDF:C\to D fibers CC over DD” to point out that if the term existed it probably wasn’t just for stacks.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014
    • (edited May 14th 2014)

The Idea-section at Picard scheme claimed (,aybe that was me, I forget) that it is the geometric incarnation of the Picard group. I have added the warning that often (usually) it is just the connected component of that which is being referred to. In fact I have added the following paragraph:

Often one considers just the connected component Pic X 0Pic_X^0 of the neutral element in Pic XPic_X, and often (such as in the discussion below, beware) it is that connected component (only) which is referred to by “Picard scheme”. The quotient Pic X/Pic X 0Pic_X/Pic_X^0 is called the Néron-Severi group of XX.

Related to this: the discussion on the page as of now is not very transparent conceptually. I have added links to Akhil Mathew’s nice posts on this, which go a bit further in actually explaining what’s going on. But it seems to me this could further be improved on.

1. Think I fixed a mathematical typo

Yongyi

diff, v20, current

2. Think I fixed a mathematical typo

Yongyi

diff, v20, current