Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011

I find this wording at predicate rather odd:

…a predicate is a statement…

Philosophers would say ’is blue’ is a predicate, while ’x is blue’ is a statement.

If a (unary) predicate over XX is to be thought of as a subject of XX, so, if in a topos, a map XΩX \to \Omega, isn’t the associated statement 1XΩ1 \to X \to \Omega, for some (perhaps variable) arrow 1X1 \to X.

In philosophy, it’s never the case that

The term proposition may be used synonymously with ‘predicate’.

With ’statement’ yes, but not with ’predicate’.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Suggestions? Would ’expression’ be better?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • (edited Oct 1st 2011)

Philosophers would say ’is blue’ is a predicate, while ’x is blue’ is a statement.

I think that mathematicians find ‘is blue’ too nebulous; you need a placeholder. At the very least, the predicate should be ‘- is blue.’ or the function (x(x \mapsto {}‘[xx] is blue.’)).

The cleanest approach (as stated in the article but perhaps not with adequate explanation) is to specify the context first. This makes it clear that we don’t have two distinct predicates ‘xx is blue.’ and ‘yy is blue.’ … unless in a context where both of these variables appear, in which these should be distinguished! (I don’t know how to do that with just ‘is blue’.)

• CommentRowNumber4.

A predicate is a term applicable to those entities which share some property. It refers to a concept. For Frege it is ’unsaturated’, waiting for a name to turn it into a proposition. It’s F( )F(_) rather than F(x)F(x).

Could we say then that a predicate names an arrow in a topos with codomain Ω\Omega, or a subobject of an object, and a proposition/statement names an arrow 1Ω1 \to \Omega, or a subobject of 11?

• CommentRowNumber5.

For Frege [a predicate] is ’unsaturated’, waiting for a name to turn it into a proposition. It’s F( )F(_) rather than F(x)F(x).

It’s interesting that you say this, because I just came online to remark upon it. In mathematical logic, there seems to be a trend away from an approach dealing with a function PP from terms to propositions, so that one writes P(x)P(x) (for xx a variable) or more generally P(t)P(t) (for tt a term), to an approach where PP is the entire statement that previously would have been written P(x)P(x) and so one must write P[t/x]P[t/x] (meaning the result of substituting the term tt for the variable xx in the proposition PP) for what would previously have been written P(t)P(t). Paul Taylor even goes so far as to write [t/x] *P[t/x]^* P to emphasise that this is a pullback.

Could we say then that a predicate names an arrow in a topos with codomain Ω\Omega, or a subobject of an object, and a proposition/statement names an arrow 1Ω1 \to \Omega, or a subobject of 11?

I’m not sure if you mean anything by saying ‘names’ here instead of ‘is’. Anyway, one certainly could use terminology this way, but why do we need two words for the latter? (I’m not sure that I knew that ‘statement’ was used in a technical sense by anybody.)

Another terminology, which I associate (possibly unfairly) with dumbed down secondary-school courses, is ‘open sentence’ (with one or more free variables) and ‘closed sentence’ (without).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I actually like the terms ’open’ and ’closed’, because one can connect them with topological meanings. If one writes down string diagram (or even better, surface diagram) representations of terms in a predicate calculus, then free variables correspond to open input and output strings. The act of quantifying (say, existentially quantifying) can be likened to the act of “capping off” an open string to make it closed; you get a closed term by capping off or binding all the open strings. This idea really goes back to Peirce and his system Beta.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Re 5, ’names’ rather than ’is’ , I was trying to indicate the philosophers’ distinction between the words used to designate a property or concept and the property or concept itself. It’s really quite a mess because there’s the further issue of intensional or extensional identity, e.g., is the concept ’has a heart’ the same as ’has a liver’ if they have the same extension.

As for statement/proposition, these have to made to fit with sentence and assertion. There’s no unanimity. The Wikipedia page shows some of the confusion.

If it can all be boiled down to arrow talk, things could get a lot clearer.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011

Think about the latter paragraph of comment 4. Here we see explicitly that a proposition is a special case of a predicate, since 11 is an object. But given an object AA, we may pass to the slice category over AA, and now we see that a predicate is a proposition in a different context.

I have written proposition almost entirely anew; take a look.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011

I still think that anyone coming from philosophy will be very confused but what they will see as a conflation of ’proposition’ and ’predicate’. I wonder what others think. Oddly, despite this, we don’t even have the pages proposition and predicate talking to each other.

’categorial logic’ could link to logic.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

The usage I am familiar with in mathematical logic is that a proposition is a statement containing no free variables, whereas a predicate is a statement possibly containing free variables. Would it be sufficient for the philosophers, David C, if we added a remark like

In philosophy, the variable in a predicate is usually elided, so that one writes simply “is blue” rather than “xx is blue”. The mathematical version which contains a variable is more precise, as it specifies exactly where in the statement the entity in question is to be substituted.

?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Having a free variable looks like just a trick of axiomatic mathematics, not something what is universal beyond mathematics to other disciplines. In linguistics indeed one starts with say a semantic entity which is represented by say a verb phrase and then the knowledge of language puts it into a semantic relation with certain closed and certain open classes of other entities which it can apply to. Human is thursty. in a surrealistic stretch computer can also be thirsty. By no means emptiness (abstract notion) can be thirsty, though poetry can put it into action.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Oddly, despite this, we don’t even have the pages proposition and predicate talking to each other.

Yes we do; they are (and have always been) the same page! That you see the latter as different is just the dreaded cache bug.

• CommentRowNumber13.

I still think that anyone coming from philosophy will be very confused but what they will see as a conflation of ’proposition’ and ’predicate’.

Will be they be confused by the last paragraph under ## Predicates ##, where predicates are viewed as propositional functions? I have just added a justification of that view to the paragraph on toposes in ## category-theoretic logic ##.

• CommentRowNumber14.

’categorial logic’ could link to logic.

Right now, categorial logic and categorical logic redirect to internal logic, but this doesn’t seem right to me. (The link that I wrote was to category-theoretic logic, which remains unfulfilled.)

• CommentRowNumber15.

By no means emptiness (abstract notion) can be thirsty, though poetry can put it into action.

Wondering whether emptiness is thirsty seems to me to be a type error. (The poetry apparently supplies a conversion between types.)

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Oct 3rd 2011)

Right, you can try to make it type error in a synchronic system, but the language is changing under the influence of semantics, including typically changing the rules for such barriers for certain lexical or semantic groups or idioms.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2011

Re 12, ah, the dreaded cache bug. The idea is to have what’s at ’Proposition’ as the future page? Why not title it ’Predicate’ and then describe whatever we eventually decide about its relation to ’proposition’? At predicate, we have

The term proposition may be used synonymously with ‘predicate’, or it may be restricted to the case when there are no free variables,

recognising that at least some people see a proposition as a special case of a predicate, so suggesting ’predicate’ is the lead term.

• CommentRowNumber18.

Re 10, adding something along those lines sounds good, when we get the page straight.

• CommentRowNumber19.

Lots of philosophy students train on Hodges’ Logic. He writes

a predicate is defined to be a string of English words and individual variables, such that if the individual variables are replaced by appropriate designators, then the whole becomes a declarative sentence with these designators as constituents.

example

xx loves a bit of night-life.

Not quite sure why ’English’ has to be there.

But he then adds

The word predicate is often ued by grammarians and philosophers in ways which are at varaince with the definition we have given. For example, some people use the word to mean property or quality.

He uses ’declarative sentence’ rather than ’proposition’.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi

It’s an assembly of the second kind, of course! (cf. Bourbaki, Theorie des ensembles)

• CommentRowNumber21.

Re 14, can’t we link to this section, perhaps having expanded it?

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • (edited Oct 4th 2011)

Why not title it ’Predicate’ and then describe whatever we eventually decide about its relation to ’proposition’?

Because the two things were already at one page. It used to be titled predicate, but I decided that proposition would be a better name. Either way, one name has redirected to the other for months.

At predicate, we have

You mean at version 5 of the page. Once the cache is fixed, your link won’t link to the old version anymore.

The term proposition may be used synonymously with ‘predicate’, or it may be restricted to the case when there are no free variables,

I changed that because I think that it’s misleading. These people really just use ‘proposition’ only, keeping track of the context, because a predicate in one context Γ\Gamma is a proposition in an extension of Γ\Gamma. From this perspective, the basic concept is that of proposition in context.

A predicate is a special case of a proposition: a proposition in a context extended by free variables. A proposition is a special case of a predicate: a predicate in which the free variables do not appear.

He uses ’declarative sentence’ rather than ’proposition’.

Does he draw a distinction between these?

Re 14, can’t we link to this section, perhaps having expanded it?

Maybe; it seems like it should have its own page, although not much else is on that page. In any case, I’ve put the redirects there for now.

• CommentRowNumber23.

Possibly we need an introduction for philosophers and linguists. But I’m sure that keeping explicit track of context is the key to using these concepts well.

• CommentRowNumber24.

I added a section about propositional and predicate logic.

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I’m sure that keeping explicit track of context is the key to using these concepts well.

Ditto.

• CommentRowNumber26.

Ok, things are making better sense for me now.

Re 22, Hodge doesn’t use the word ’proposition’ at all.