Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMirco Richter
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011
    • (edited Oct 22nd 2011)
    Hi,

this is my first time on nForum and I'll start with a question you people surely can answer:

Suppose we have a topological n-groupoid G.

This can be seen as a Kan simplicial set in \mathbf{TOP} such that all Kan-maps
    are homoeomorphisms for all m \geq n+1 ).

On the other hand we have the simplicial singular complex of G:
    S G : [n] \mapsto Hom_{Top}(\Delta^n, G)

So we have two simplicial sets associated with G and my question is: Are they related and if yes in what manner?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011

(Not an answer: to format mathematics, it is much better to use the Markdown+iTeX filter. The <latex>...</latex> tags are depreciated. They only work because I’d have to go back and edit a load of old posts if I turned them off. So choose “Markdown+iTeX” from the list at the bottom, and use dollars to surround your maths.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011
    • (edited Oct 23rd 2011)

Hi Mirco,

when you write “Hom Top(Δ n,G)Hom_{Top}(\Delta^n , G)” how are you thinking of GG as a topological space? Or else, what exactly do you mean to denote?

One way I could make sense of this is that you mean the bisimplicial set which in degree (p,q)(p,q) is Hom Top(Δ p,G q)Hom_{Top}(\Delta^p, G_q), where G qG_q is the topological space of qq-morphisms in the topological nn-groupoid GG (where I am thinking of GG as a simplicial topological space).

If you mean that, then the answer to the question is: this bisimplicial set is very closely related to GG itself, in fact it is an equivalent incarnation of it. A detailed discussion of this point is at geometric realization of simplicial topological spaces.

But maybe this is not what you mean. If so, tell us a bit more about what exactly you have in mind.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMirco Richter
    • (edited Oct 23rd 2011)

Since GG is a nn-groupoid it is a subcomplex of its n-coskeleton and itself a “(n+1)(n+1)“-coskeletal simplicial set. If get things right the topological version then just requires that any layer in this set to be a topological space and any map to be continuous. Hence seen all the layers together gives us a single (but N-graded) topological space.

But as I keep the simplicial structure maps, this is what you thought it is.

Anyway thanks for pointing me to the geometric realization of simplicial topological spaces…. Is there something similar for smooth spaces (I guess not, but better asking …)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

the topological version then just requires that any layer in this set to be a topological space and any map to be continuous.

So a simplicial topological space is a functor G:Δ opG : \Delta^{op} \to Top from the simplex category. For each kk \in \mathbb{N} it assigns a topological space G kG_k (I guess this is what you are calling the kkth “layer”?) and all the face and degeneracy maps between these are continuous maps.

This is, by the way, true whether or not GG is Kan fibrant in any sense and whether or not it is (n+1)(n+1)-coskeletal.

Hence seen all the layers together gives us a single (but N-graded) topological space.

I am still not sure that I see what you mean. That single topological space, is it supposed to be the disjoint uion of the G kG_k? If so, that would not be a useful space to look at. But maybe you mean something different?

Is there something similar for smooth spaces (I guess not, but better asking …)

Yes, there is (if I understand correctly what you mean). Most of the things that you would call smooth spaces have an underlying topological space. Therefore many statements generalize directly. We have some discussion to this effect at smooth infinity-groupoid – structures in the section Geometric homotopy. But before getting into that it would be useful to first sort out the topological case.