Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry beauty bundles calculus categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-theory cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology definitions deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry differential-topology digraphs duality education elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homology homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory infinity integration integration-theory k-theory kan lie lie-theory limit limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic manifolds mathematics measure-theory modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nonassociative noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pasting philosophy physics planar pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string-theory subobject superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorbwebster
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    • (edited Nov 5th 2009)

I thought it might be good if somebody explained the relationship between decategorification and extended TQFT. My understanding from talking to physicists is that you should multiply your space by $S^1$; is this right in a mathematical sense? I've added a query box asking roughly the same thing.

Also, I attempted to add a sidebar, mostly just to try it out, and somehow it's not rendering right. Anyone want to explain what I did wrong?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 5th 2009)
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote> Anyone want to explain what I did wrong? </blockquote> <p>I can't really explain it, all I can say is that the problem went away after I added closing sharp-signs not just before but also after the headlines. Not sure why that makes a difference here but not elsewhere. Probably the parser gets mixed up somhow by the inclusion process.</p> <p>Then I slightly expanded and slightly restructures the toc. Just a suggestion.</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I replied at decategorification. But probably one can say something better. As I said, I should really go to bed now :-)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

replied to David Roberts at horizontal categorification

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorEric

I knew you couldn't resist! Get some sleep :)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017

Iā€™m removing this query:

+ā€“{: .query} Ben Webster: Perhaps something could be said about an extended TQFT FF? My understanding was that the decategorification of F(X)F(X) was given by F(X×S 1)F(X\times S^1); is this right?

Urs Schreiber: that process certainly makes an nn-dimensional QFT becomes an (n1)(n-1)-dimensional one. It is pretty much exactly the mechanism of fiber integration.

So this certainly does have a flavor of decategorification. But the latter also has a precise sense in terms of taking equivalence classes in a category. So at face value fiber integration is something different. But perhaps there is some change of perspective that allows to regard it as decategorification in the systematic sense.

=ā€“